Hard Times- Assistance Needed

PWPLKR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Forum !

On last days of november my father has passed away.

We never had that much in common and we both had our ways of living.

My father was a photographic maniac and had tons of photograpic eqimpent, however I started to make my own DSLR journey more than half year ago, I have very little experiance and knowledge in deciding witch lenses and cameras are worth keeping. I was delegated by my sister to take care of his photographic eqimpent and split it in half (money wise) as we are only one who are egible to decline.

My sister will sell her half, but I would like to use mine.

Please help me decide witch lenses are cameras are worth keeping, im mainly interested in landscape and portrait photography, here is the list:

LENSES :

CANON EF 100-400MM F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
CANON EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
CANON EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM
CANON EF 70-200 mm f/2,8 L IS II USM
CANON EF 70-200MM F1.4 L USM
SONY CARL ZEISS 135MM F/1.8 ZA
SONY CARL ZEISS LOXIA 21mm f/2.8
SONY 55MM F/1.8 FE ZA CARL ZEISS SONNAR T*
SONY 70-200MM F/4 G OSS
SONY FE 2.8/90 MACRO G OSS
SONY ZEISS BATIS 85MM F/1.8 DO SONY E
SONY Zeiss Distagon T FE 35 mm f/1.4 ZA
SONY ZEISS DISTAGON T* 24MM F/2 (SAL24F/20Z)
VOIGTLÄNDER 21MM F/1.8 ULTRON (LEICA M)

CAMERAS :

Canon Eos 10D BODY
Canon EOS 50D
Canon EOS 7D
Fuji Film x10
Sony alfa 7 ii
Sony Alfa 7R ILCE+7RM2
Sony Alfa 7R ILCE+7RM1
SONY ALPHA A7R BODY
Sony Cyber-Shot Dsc-Rx1r Ii

That's a tough call. What I can say is if you shoot canon, keep all of those lenses.

I'd take the collection to get appraised & buy out your sisters half. Then use and sell as needed.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

That's a tough call, first it depends what you want to do in photography.
If you don't see yourself going pro in the future then it will be easier.

This is only what I would do, you might like it or not that's your call.
If you just see yourself staying amateur I would sell all the cameras except the Sony A7R II
I would also sell all the Canon glass, it can work on the Sony with Metabone adaptor but honestly best is to have native lenses.
From the Sony lenses it depends which one you want to keep, you are the only one that knows which one is for you and which one isn't.
Personally I would probably keep most of the primes and sell the Sony 70-200mm F4 and buy the Sony 24-70mm 2.8 and Sony 70-200mm 2.8
Another thing to consider is if you like birding maybe keep the Canon 100-400 and get the Metabone adaptor for that.

Sorry for your loss.

Wow, thats a great collection though I don't think canon do a 70-200mm f1.4 so you might want to double check that one. Some really very good lenses, I'd find it hard to get rid of any of those.

The 10D and the 50D are a bit on the old side now, the 7D is showing its age but is still a good useable camera.

Hi Again Forums,

First of all, thank You all for empation i took my time and eventually accepted that my father is no longer alive.

Thank You also for braking down every item, it was very helpful for notive photographer. I was very confused about certain items ( bodies specifically ) but now its quite clear what can be sold. I am writing to You from Poland and market of photo eqimpent is quite hard here. Not many people can afford hight end lenses like these I have.

I decided to stick to SONY, i made few pictures and im absolutely in love with these prime lenses.

I found few more items in the stash. Tons( more than 30, why would everyone need so much ?) of HOYA(and other brands) UV-Filters and e-mount adapter.

Unfortuneatly we found out that my Father still have to pay mortgage for his flat, and i might need to sell most of the eqimpent despite the fact that I would like to keep half of it.

Please advise me ( regardless if its sony or canon ) what lenses You would defenratly keep and witch ones You could easily let go.

Hear You again soon.

Best Regards,

Sorry for your loss. :(

Unfortuneatly we found out that my Father still have to pay mortgage for his flat, and i might need to sell most of the eqimpent despite the fact that I would like to keep half of it.
Can't you sell the flat? That said, I'd see how much money you can get for the equipment vs. how much is due. If it's a big difference, it might not make sense to sell. If the gear is only equal to a small portion of the overall loan, I'd personally rather have the gear.

Purely from a focal length perspective I'd keep the 24mm, 35mm and 70-200mm as a minimum. If I was able I'd also keep the 135mm and the 85mm.

You might want to double check the availibility and cost of the other Sony lenses though, as there may be a couple of really good almost irreplaceable ones in there judging by the standards of those lenses. I'm not too knowledgeable about Sony either I'm sure someone will be able to advise. Have a think about what you want to shoot and the conditions you'll like to shoot in too though. 85mm and 135mm can be really excellent portrait lenses, whereas 24mm and 35mm is more suited to landscapes. If you want to do low light a low f number is good (but they are all pretty fast, good glass)

Again, sorry for your loss.

As you may have found, the lenses for the Sony and Canon are typical of what a many strong amateur photographers would have as their kit. Many pros get by with less than this.

Well, if you can swing it I would keep the Sony A7RM2 and the Sony 35mm f/1.4 lens. This is a very versatile camera/lens combo that can provide some truly unique images.

On the other hand, if you can keep a decent Sony kit and just sell what is sort of extra then you could go with the 24mm, 55mm and 70-200mm and have a versatile three lens kit (and the macro if you like that). The 24mm for landscape and 70-200mm for portrait and the 55mm as a general everyday lens.

If you went with the Canon and wanted to keep it basic to sell as much as possible then I would probably keep the 7D body and the 17-40mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/4 lenses.

hey Forums !

I bring some good news.
We finally took over my fathers account.

We do have enught money to pay for the flat and keep all the cameras and leses.

Nevertheless thank you for help and advices.

May the good light be always with You!

Sorry for your loss. I would send a list to KEH.com or MPB.com of all the equipment. They will tell you what it worth for a quick sale and offer to buy it from you. It won't be as much as you would make by selling it one piece at a time on ebay but that could take a long time. At that point you'll know what kind of money it is worth wholesale. You can go on those sites and see what the stuff is going for retail as well. As to what to do next, that is really up to you and your sister. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back