Has anyone ever encountered this?

Robshoots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using Exposure X7 as my primary editing software. It is a bit like Lightroom. Recently I was quite surprised to find considerable distortion in a couple of photos when I opened them in the software. The distortion wasn't noticeable, though, in the JPEG on the camera's screen. The lens I was using was the Sigma 105 macro. I found it odd that the distortion appeared in the raw file but not in the JPEG. Then I thought I would open the same raw file in another program to see if the distortion was still present, so I used GIMP. The image looked just fine. Finally I thought I would take the same photo with a different lens. This time I used the Sigma 17-50 at 50mm. There wasn't any noticeable distortion. The photos in question are below. This really has me baffled. Anyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? I should probably mention that the camera -- a Canon 800D -- was set for RAW + JPEG and that I used the same lens to take some of the other photos that I posted for the Weekly Challenge/ Texture. No distortion issues that I could see in those images. Thanks.

The raw file looks like this:

_MG_7970-Distortion 1.jpeg

But the JPEG looks like this:

_MG_7970-Distortion 2.jpeg

I am using Exposure X7 as my primary editing software. It is a bit like Lightroom. Recently I was quite surprised to find considerable distortion in a couple of photos when I opened them in the software. The distortion wasn't noticeable, though, in the JPEG on the camera's screen. The lens I was using was the Sigma 105 macro. I found it odd that the distortion appeared in the raw file but not in the JPEG.
The software is mistakenly correcting for lens distortion when processing the raw file -- probably misidentifying the lens. There should be a way to instruct the software to disable lens distortion correction.

Then I thought I would open the same raw file in another program to see if the distortion was still present, so I used GIMP.
GIMP can't open raw files. At best it will open the embedded JPEG in the raw file or pass the task off to another app.
The image looked just fine. Finally I thought I would take the same photo with a different lens. This time I used the Sigma 17-50 at 50mm. There wasn't any noticeable distortion. The photos in question are below. This really has me baffled. Anyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? I should probably mention that the camera -- a Canon 800D -- was set for RAW + JPEG and that I used the same lens to take some of the other photos that I posted for the Weekly Challenge/ Texture. No distortion issues that I could see in those images. Thanks.

The raw file looks like this:

View attachment 256466

But the JPEG looks like this:

View attachment 256467

The software is mistakenly correcting for lens distortion when processing the raw file -- probably misidentifying the lens. There should be a way to instruct the software to disable lens distortion correction.

GIMP can't open raw files. At best it will open the embedded JPEG in the raw file or pass the task off to another app.
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. You’re right about GIMP and RAW files. It uses a plug-in, in this case Darktable, to open the file. I’ll check out the lens distortion correction in Exposure.

Just a quick follow up: I looked at the lens correction feature and found, just as you said, that the program had misidentified the lens. When I chose the right lens, everything snapped into place. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back