Haven't Posted in a While. My Shots from the Past Few Weeks: C&C

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I haven't posted in a few weeks so I've gotten a few shots since then. Anyways, let me know what you guys think about them. Comments and criticism are welcome.

"I haven't uploaded in a while so I wanted to put something up so this is it. I just got back from Mexico today so I'm pretty tired from building houses in the ghettos of Tijuana so yeah. Anyways, for this shot, I wanted to accomplish an old fashion feel through my post process. I think I did alright. Not the best shot but it was natural light so I was impressed by how well it turned out because I'm usually not very good with natural light.

Also, I got a Macbook Pro last week so I'm pretty stoked on that! It is so beautiful! "

4814308669_65280e5873_b.jpg

He's AZN. Nuff said.

Canon 430EX through umbrella, camera left, 1/4 power

4814327113_d1d884593f_b.jpg

Apples have been my obsession as of late. I have no idea why but I have been eating at least one a day for the past few weeks. But yeah I couldn't have any while I was in Mexico which made me sad for a while (while I wasn't completely stoned on Benadryl... Poison oak SUCKS!). So yeah, I hadn't shot in what seems like forever so I figured I'd share my daily habit with the world and satisfy my photography fix by taking a picture of this apple. Yeah. I'm done now....

4814965022_ffd52a2b06_b.jpg

My sister dyed her hair yesterday so of course, she needed new Facebook pictures. Anyways, I really like how these turned out. I tried a couple of my new DIY gears: my striplight box and my DIY boom. I was pretty proud of the DIY boom. It's a pretty awesome piece of DIY engineering. So yeah anyways, these weree pretty simple, not much to them. Just your basic studio portraits.

Strobist Info:
Canon 430EX camera left through strip box, 1/2 power
Canon 430EZ boomed as hairlight bare bulb, 1/8 power
Photoflex Starflash 300 camera right through softbox, 1/4 power

4819278135_5e0fc75648_b.jpg

My sister dyed her hair yesterday so of course, she needed new Facebook pictures. Anyways, I really like how these turned out. I tried a couple of my new DIY gears: my striplight box and my DIY boom. I was pretty proud of the DIY boom. It's a pretty awesome piece of DIY engineering. So yeah anyways, these weree pretty simple, not much to them. Just your basic studio portraits.

However, one thing that is pretty special about this shot is that I photoshopped in about 30% of the top of her head which was a feat for me. I have never really done construction of a person's head like that before so I'm pretty proud of how good a job I did.

Strobist Info:
Canon 430EX camera left through strip box, 1/2 power
Canon 430EZ boomed as hairlight bare bulb, 1/8 power
Photoflex Starflash 300 camera right through softbox, 1/4 power

4819901356_1c55a1afbf_b.jpg

4819921198_aac8a7cf67.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, your camera should be very good!

I like the quality of every shot.

But of all of them, I like the last most. I think this is because you could capture that nice look of the model....so acurate, light sufficient and magneting)

great work!

Jack, could use some burn tool on the tree behind on #1. Nice photos though.

Holy ****, I saw the picture of the last girl and I was like, wow that could be his sister, went back and looked at your avatar and I was like yeah that definately could be his sister....then I actually read the post :lmao:

I'd love to see a pic of your DIY studio setup. Nice PS work.

Props to you for sharing your strobist information and other pertaining info.

All of your shots do appear to be slightly under lit.
Very well composed and focused.

Good job on the hair reconstruction and on increasing the size of the canvas! Your work is getting steadily better.

1. Looks pretty good, I like the background for the most part. I'm not really a fan of the hat (?) resting on her leg because it kind of looks like a black blob. I am on my dark monitor though, so the details may be more visible on another screen.

2. Underexposed. But I like this shot.

3. I like this one a lot, except for the composition. Too centered for my taste.

4. Watch the arm. Its really awkward, and appears bigger than it really should because of how her arm is turned. Not working. The lighting looks good though!

5&6&7. These are the best of the bunch. Lighting looks nice, focus is tack sharp. Generally well done head shots.

Ultimately I am trying to give you tough C&C because you know what you are doing. Just have to pay attention to some of the little tiny details.

Yeah I've been trying to work on my arm posing when leaning is necessary, especially when you're working with a former gymnast like my sister (the girl in the picture). She is extremely double jointed in her arms which means that her arms bend past the point of being straight which can make for an uncomfortable looking picture.

And on the second one, we were walking all over Oceanside today so we only took one light with us. I wish I could have set up a rim light for that shot and then another smaller light source to the left of the camera for a little fill in the shadows. But you know, you do what you can :)

I know how it is. I am also double jointed...so when taking self pictures I have to be really careful not to look awkward. You could try not having her lean so much into her upper arm. As with most things are with photography, you just have to try different things until you find something that works!

1st photo is nice, but if the grass is better lighted it would have beautiful colors!

Most reactions

Back