Hedgecoe Creative Light Project 1 - White Calla Lilly

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
May not be everyone's cup of tea. Tools; D7200, Sigma 105mm Macro, remote trigger, steel welding rod, thin wire for stem to angle flower 90°, mini hand held fan taped to light stand (blow on edge of flower, gaffers tape, 2 tripods, 300 lumens LED pen light. Taped LED to rod, and rod to swivel head tripod. Used gaffers tape on backside of flower to stabilize center part while fan blows gently on edges. Turned off lights. Gimp for B & W conversion.

Manual WB, manual focus, center weight, single point, MUP, f/22, 2.5s, ISO 100.

Goal was to create an interesting render using an unconventional light source at minimal cost. Light should be used to enhance dimension of subject. Add motion (fan) to image in order to enhance OOF areas.

White Calla Lilly
DSC_5662e.jpg

I LOVE the way this turned out, and especially so considering the degree of pre-planning abd set-up required to capture this image! Brilliantly executed!

I LOVE the way this turned out, and especially so considering the degree of pre-planning abd set-up required to capture this image! Brilliantly executed!
Thanks Derrel, it was fun.

Interesting! I was at another local library perusing their Photo section and stumbled on to a book by Hedgecoe called "How To Take Great Photographs" a back to the basics approach. Just started reading but I'm enjoying it, and looking forward to trying my hand at a few of the practice projects as well.

Interesting! I was at another local library perusing their Photo section and stumbled on to a book by Hedgecoe called "How To Take Great Photographs" a back to the basics approach. Just started reading but I'm enjoying it, and looking forward to trying my hand at a few of the practice projects as well.
Great instruction, I find. With the older books, some of things you have to adapt to digital. However, it's all there. Like he didn't tell me to use an LED light or fan but talked about various lighting methods, and gave examples of there rendering and I took it further and applied the principles.

THis i
So I might be getting a job in the Portland, OR area, and I'm wondering if I should move in with @Derrel

Pros: He's in Portland
Cons: I don't intend to ask him, and that might be problematic.

Great instruction, I find. With the older books, some of things you have to adapt to digital. However, it's all there. Like he didn't tell me to use an LED light or fan but talked about various lighting methods, and gave examples of there rendering and I took it further and applied the principles.

There are a number of reasons why, that to this very day, I STILL recommend the many John Hedgecoe books for people who really want to LEARN about "photography". Not digital imaging, not Photoshop, not digital image editing--but photography. I learned a HUGE amount from his books back in the day. His books are basically, college-level photo instructional books. John Hedgecoe was the first-ever full professor of photography at London's Royal College. His educational methods are/were outstanding.

THis i
So I might be getting a job in the Portland, OR area, and I'm wondering if I should move in with @Derrel

Pros: He's in Portland
Cons: I don't intend to ask him, and that might be problematic.

There are a number of reasons why, that to this very day, I STILL recommend the many John Hedgecoe books for people who really want to LEARN about "photography". Not digital imaging, not Photoshop, not digital image editing--but photography. I learned a HUGE amount from his books back in the day. His books are basically, college-level photo instructional books. John Hedgecoe was the first-ever full professor of photography at London's Royal College. His educational methods are/were outstanding.
Yup, I am glad I took your advice when I was starting out. He was a great photographer as well. I have one of his books on his photography art, pretty impressive.

I have two more parts to the creative lighting project but I need a model, and another day of good natural light.

Put the finishing touches on the pre planning for the hand project. Now I have to seek out the hands.

I need a model,

I feel your pain, my wife has become very uncooperative about posing. I thought about using her as a model in a project I was going to call "The Taming of the Shrew", but decided I better not press my luck.

I'm assuming both shots are a take on "circle shapes" that Hedgecoe discussed. In the first the viens in the flower contribute the diagonals which I think adds more intrest overall. The second accentuates the circle shape and follows along with his thoughts on simplify and fill the frame. Both are good examples, well executed of his instructions. Glad I stayed up late to read his book, now to go back, reread and practice!

I'm assuming both shots are a take on "circle shapes" that Hedgecoe discussed. In the first the viens in the flower contribute the diagonals which I think adds more intrest overall. The second accentuates the circle shape and follows along with his thoughts on simplify and fill the frame. Both are good examples, well executed of his instructions. Glad I stayed up late to read his book, now to go back, reread and practice!

Impressive, you got it sir!

Most reactions

Back