Hefty 35mm film camera with EF mount?

andrewdoeshair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry, I didn't know if this goes in the film forum or this photography equipment forum. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. I mostly shoot with a 5Diii but I have been having fun with film for the past year or so. I was using a Pentax ME Super for this but I was limited to one lens so I bought two Canon Rebel G cameras for like $20 each on eBay. They're neato. Dirt cheap, very very lightweight, all plastic (even the lens mount), and they even have a whopping THREE auto focus points (that's three more than my Pentax has).

However, the cheap and fun cameras have been becoming less than fun at times. The thing doesn't have a power switch, you have to remove the batteries if you don't want them to drain while the camera has film in it. Really annoying to deal with, especially while traveling. The batteries also aren't super easy to find (I drained them by accident on vacation and spent half a day stopping into various stores looking for some). The viewfinder sucks. It's dark and it's tiny.

What I'm hoping to find is a 35mm camera that has some weight to it. Something with a big comfy viewfinder. Having the extra grip for vertical shots would be nice. And it would be reallllly nice if I could find something with a rechargeable battery that I can stock up on (if I found something that took LP-E6 batteries I'd be sure I was dreaming).

I've been googling and eBaying, and I'm leaning toward a Canon EOS 1N, especially if I can find one with the extra grip, BUT I am completely not versed in canon's 35mm cameras so I'm not really aware of what else is out there. Is a pro camera from 1992 going to be nicer than a prosumer camera from 1999? It's easy to count megapixels and read about ISO performance to figure that sort of thing out with digital cameras, but again, I don't know much about film or anything about cameras made in the 90's... I also wish I could pick these things up and give them a good feel, which is why I'm asking you all. Hopefully you've held an old canon or two and can guide me.

Thank you!!

Also would be nice to have a faster flash sync than the Rebel G... I learned the hard way (shot three rolls like this, but didn't think to first even google the camera's flash sync speed) that 1/125 is too fast.
70500009.jpg

The old film EOS cameras from the 90's were really pretty good. I remember my Dad got one in the early 90's that was the first camera I had seen with autofoucus and at the time it was brilliant. My partner also had one back in the day but it was a slightly different model (hers is still in our loft I think). I'll find out tonight what they were but from memory they were pretty ggood cameras!

Thanks for the reply, weepete.

I didn't do enough homework before bothering the forum withtvis. I just found a pretty comprehensive write up (and a chart covering every 35mm EOS made). I'm just going to pull the trigger on the 1N.

Most reactions

Back