Hello everyone! My first C&C :)

Daniel_jd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi again! My name is Daniel (from Ukraine).

Found this forum yesterday and decided to register :)

Couple of weeks ago with my wife's permission I bought Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm kit lens. As far as the weather is very dull, I sat at home reading the manual and shooting my wife and other stuff :)
Though it is my first camera I think I felt myself like at home rather quickly...

So, on my lunch time on Wednesday I went outside to shoot the playing children (from school). Here are the photos! Comments and critics are very welcome (I hope that is what C&C means :) )

Dasha5.jpg

Dasha4.jpg

2boys_BW.jpg

#5 is a winner for me. It is just oozing with charm and fun. The looks on the kids' faces are 100% authentic... I think it's great to see kids that age really having fun just being kids even with all the high tech gadgets that tend to distract them (not to mention the rest of us). In addition to that, the kids are all interacting with each other which builds upon itself. It almost feels like a Norman Rockwell painting.

The only neg I have is the building in the background... it causes the camera tilt to feel awkward for me and it's a bit distracting. However, it's possible that a tighter crop would take away from the "winter wonderland in the country" feeling.

#6 is similar but they're not expressing emotion as strongly and it seems to be a bit underexposed.

The others don't really create any strong connection with me.

Good pictures, although I'd hesitate on going to the local school to take pictures of the children (at least without the school knowing lol). Could run into some trouble that way =P

I love #6

I am new to my D5000 too. Are you using P mode? or point & shoot or?

Hey everyone, thanks for reply! :)

2bazooka: thanks! actually they were all a bit underexposed (ViewNX helped to solve the problem). I like #5 too :)

2DerekSalem: it wasn't at school, it was near the channel, but in Ukraine there wouldn't be promlems, imho :)

2Casserole: Congrats with a great toy (D5000) :)! I used S mode for those. I set shutter speed at 1/1250 or 1/2000 cause I wanted everything frosted :) - emotions, snow... Try to avoid using Auto Mode. I had aperture wide open, ISO at 200 (I guess) and because of very fast shutter speed all pictures were underexposed, but I fixed that in ViewNX. D-Lighting is also a great feature. But I use it only in ViewNX (not in camera).
Good luck with your shots!!!

Thanks again everyone, appreciate that :):):)

The only neg I have is the building in the background... it causes the camera tilt to feel awkward for me and it's a bit distracting.

Agreed, I believe the building is taking away from the photo a bit, though I also believe it is an easy fix with some photoshop-ing (official verb yet?).. I've seen members here do some impressive things with that clone tool :p

I had aperture wide open, ISO at 200 (I guess) and because of very fast shutter speed all pictures were underexposed, but I fixed that in ViewNX.

While you can easily increase the exposure editing the RAW, I've read that it tends to lend itself to increased noise when done in PP. With that shot I doubt you have much time to consider the meter reading, but I've also read in a tight situation it is better to overexpose than under, as it negatively affects the final product less. I may be wrong, others will confirm or correct me.

Fun shots though :) Got some great expression!

Most reactions

Back