Hello from an Amateur Hobbyist Just Looking to Learn

Hoodat Whatzit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I figured I'd better post an intro to at least say "Hello!"

My "journey" in photography is probably pretty typical. Lots and lots of point and shoots as a kid but always fascinated by photography and photographers. My dad is a artist (oil paint is his preference) and if you spend enough time watching artists and hanging out in museums growing up and you get the itch to do something creative yourself. Dabbling didn't lead to wanting a career in art however... I went the career route (I'm an assistant principal at an elementary school if you count that which I do but it means that photography as a hobby is hard on the budget/pocketbook).

Perhaps 15 years ago someone gave me a 35mm film camera and I took a college course for the basics and got to play in a darkroom. Loved it! Had a blast. Learned a little bit but didn't turn out anything spectacular. :D Played with that camera until I got into an accident and the camera got banged around hard enough to be turned into a paperweight.

Then it was a series of digital point and shoot cameras at various price levels.

A few years ago I started craving a decent camera that I could grow with and grow into. I spent a lot of time looking at different entry level DSLRs, lurking on board and forums, reading reviews and finally decided to get myself a Nikon d90. I spent a year and a half with the kit lens (the 18-105mm) and played with the camera... strictly family and events at my school. Again, I didn't turn out much of anything spectacular but I got lucky once in awhile. I decided this summer to start learning beyond the basics and the incentive I figured I needed was to spend more money on a new lens (i.e. -- you went and spent the money now you HAVE to learn how to do more than use auto or play with settings and experiment). Based on the the stuff I'd been doing with the kit lens... I decided to get a 70-300mm zoom (refurbished from Nikon). Wouldn't you know it... the same weekend I ordered that lens, I went to a local flea market where a gentleman has had a used "camera shop" for years -- just to see what he had you know... and ended up buying a 2.8 35-70mm lens from him as well which also has macro feature.

So I've been playing with my two new lenses and really enjoying them. I started coming back to various boards and forums and reading posts. Based on posts here and at other places, I bought the Peterson books on exposure and shutter speed... which are great and I've really enjoyed reading them. Give me a few more months of practice and I might be ready to share a photo or two. :lol:

I should say I've stayed away from Photoshop for the most part up until now. Thanks to educator discounts I'm lucky enough to have the full Master Collection from Adobe (I do a lot of video editing for school events as well so most of my time with Adobe has been with Premiere). However, once I feel like I have control of what I do in camera... I'll start spending some quality time with Photoshop.

My biggest goal is to make time for practice. I'm in Florida so there's really no excuse for not getting my butt out of bed on weekends (well, the near 100 degree temps over the last few weeks are a pretty good argument against moving anywhere from mid-morning on) and heading for a beach and I've become a member of my local zoo since I live 10 minutes away from it and it's a easy place to practice and play.

I think the forum is an interesting place. I'm sure I'll learn a lot and at the very least I'll be entertained by some of the threads.

~ Hoodat Whatzit

Welcome! Like a lot of people on here you seem to have that itch that just won't go away, so you'll be having a lot of fun with photography for a long time. I'd encourage you to start using PS, though, because in the old days we all learned shooting, developing and printing at the same time and they are interdependent, so it's better to work on them together. Of course, now converting raw files takes the place of developing and processing in PS takes the place of printing, but they are all important. I feel for you being in Florida - my mom lives there and it is awful in the Summer, which of course lasts from about March to November. Even up here, I try to go out before daybreak on the weekends to avoid most of the heat.

KenC said:
I'd encourage you to start using PS, though, because in the old days we all learned shooting, developing and printing at the same time and they are interdependent, so it's better to work on them together. Of course, now converting raw files takes the place of developing and processing in PS takes the place of printing, but they are all important.

Sometimes I'll do quick touch ups-- especially if I share photos with family or friends and I use photoshop for some graphics elements when working on video projects for my school. I suppose the real problem has been that I just haven't taken tons of photos I felt were worth the effort of PS. The more I learn about using my camera the better I understand the whole process. At least I think I have an idea of where to start with PS.

~ Hoodat Whatzit /Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back