Hello, Newbie here... Please C&C

r1000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all... very very new to this.. but I do enjoy it.. below are some pics I took for my sister in law who wanted a specific look. Her daughter is turning one and she wanted an old type look so she can put in frames for the day of the party. Anyway this to me has been one of my successful shoots. That isn't saying much.. but it's a step. I actually managed to give her a lot of usable images. Please C&C

I really really want to just be able to take "sharper" images. Once I can achieve that, I can work on composure.

I have a Nikon D7000 with a 35mm 1.8 and the kit lens of 18-105mm

thanks in advance

Image 1.

Image 2.

Image 3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69026543@N05/6772892112/
Image 4.

Image 5.

Last edited:
What a lil cutie!! One thing I will mention is that it is much easier for folks to give cc when the pictures are numbered and if you give the exif data for the photos also. I think your white balance is way way to warm in number 1 and 3. Her skin is orange in those photos. They are also a bit busy I know quite a few folks on here would say when it comes to kids maybe 1 or 2 props. The more the props the more stuff to distract from the main subject of the baby. OVer all not a bad set just fix that white balance issue.

Don't you see the incredible difference in the color on these? The second one is closest to good color. It's still warm. 1&3 are GLOWING orange. The others are very magenta/orange.

Your lack of sharp focus is a result of your shutter speed being at 1/50. That's wayyyyyy to slow to photograph anything alive, let alone a child. Your shutter should be around 1/250 for photographing her.

cute little flapper, there! Like Becky said.. #1 and #3.. color is off, but I suspect that is your attempt at making them look "OLD". I would UNDO it personally! #2 and #4 are my favorites.. although the tilt / perspective on #2 is a bit much.

I really really want to just be able to take "sharper" images. Once I can achieve that, I can work on composure

I think you mean "Composition"? Composure is slightly different... lol!

What editing software do you have? why not look for some free presets that have that "old feel" to them. Def fix the white balance. You could also put them in black and white to get that old world feel, or de saturate too.

I think you mean "Composition"? Composure is slightly different... lol!

bwhahahaahah.... yes.. that's what i meant... :lol:

thanks, and yea.. that was my attempt to make them look old... :p

A lot of us calibrate our monitors, so what we see may be different than what you see..... I do and I know MLEEK does... TRUST US! Undo the OLD look! ;) Maybe read up on how to produce the "vintage" look... you missed it pretty bad! But good effort for first time! :)

What editing software do you have? why not look for some free presets that have that "old feel" to them. Def fix the white balance. You could also put them in black and white to get that old world feel, or de saturate too.

Oooooh.. Yea! What She said! Do a grainy, contrasty B&W on #2 and #4.. that would KILL! :) Hey Becky... :hug::

Oooooh.. Yea! What She said! Do a grainy, contrasty B&W on #2 and #4.. that would KILL! :) Hey Becky... :hug::

Im feeling the love now :)

I really did want to know if you could see the major differences in color on those?

I really did want to know if you could see the major differences in color on those?

I definitely see the difference, before I did the shoot she took a pic of her daughter with her iphone and put the sepia look to it and sent it to me saying "this is the look i want" So the images i gave her was a mix between the sepia type (if you can call it that) images 1&3 and the normal ones 2,4,5.

Most reactions

Back