Help: Any suggestions on Post-Processing to improve this image?

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

I have an exhibition soon and want to improve this photo. My PP techniques are mediocre. Any suggestions on improving this photo will be greatly appreciated.

14026006056_e8685f3e47_b.jpg

If you post a link to the RAW file, when I get home I can look at it and see what I can do with it and report back with recommendations.... what are you going for with this? Any ideas where you want to go with it?

If you post a link to the RAW file, when I get home I can look at it and see what I can do with it and report back with recommendations.... what are you going for with this? Any ideas where you want to go with it?

Hello I don't have a raw file. I'm looking for maybe enhancing the colors and sharpness.

Nice runnah. What did you do to the first one?

Hello I don't have a raw file. I'm looking for maybe enhancing the colors and sharpness.
What file type is the image?

JPEG can only have an 8-bit color depth - 256 colors per color channel, which seriously limits editing headroom.
A 14-bit Raw file has 16,384 colors per color channel and a 12-bit Raw has 4096 colors per color channel.
Bit Depth

There are several really big problems with the image that are causing you problems, and really ought to keep this photo off of the gallery wall.

However, if you really need to fix it, here are the problems that I see.

This image is focused on the sewing machine, and not the person running it. To fix this, you need to add sharpening to the person, and add a slight blur to the machine.

The highlights are blow on the subject's hand and arm. You can't fix this, but the shadow/highlight too may help. While you have that tool open, bring the shadows up a little to get some detail in her hair.

The subject's face is underexposed, and you need to brighten it up a little bit. You'll likely want to use the dodge tool.

There are several really big problems with the image that are causing you problems, and really ought to keep this photo off of the gallery wall.

However, if you really need to fix it, here are the problems that I see.

This image is focused on the sewing machine, and not the person running it. To fix this, you need to add sharpening to the person, and add a slight blur to the machine.

The highlights are blow on the subject's hand and arm. You can't fix this, but the shadow/highlight too may help. While you have that tool open, bring the shadows up a little to get some detail in her hair.

The subject's face is underexposed, and you need to brighten it up a little bit. You'll likely want to use the dodge tool.

After examining the photo a bit closer, you are totally right. My PP skills are not good enough to darken the hand, the colors tweak too much.

Not that I'm any help. But I think some times over editing can kill it. Her hand is bright from the light of the sewing machine.. I wouldn't take to much away.. I like it as it looks natural ad to me it's telling a story. I do like the black and white image from runnah looks cool with the pattern she's wearing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back