Help choosing a dSLR-like (megazoom) - disappointed by Canon's SX series!

longtalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I want to buy a camera that has the following features, which my 6 year old Canon A610 does not have:
- very large optical zoom (at least 20x)
- high res video (at least 720p, ideally 1080p)
- exposure bracketing
- articulated LCD (the A610 does have that one)

After a long comparison of bridge ("dSLR-like" compacts) and dSLR cameras, I eliminated the latter category because adding a long zoom lens to the price of a dSLR is something I cannot afford. After comparing the available bridge cameras, I decided that either the Canon SX1 or the SX30 meet my requirements the best.

However, before proceeding to decide between these two (essentially, a choice between the SX1's 1080p filming and higher fps in burst mode and the SX3's better optical zoom and higher pixel count), I could not get over how disappointing the image quality in both of these two cameras is. The samples that I've seen from both of them seem to almost always have a soft/watercolour aspect to them, regardless of the focal length used, and even at the lowest ISO and in bright sunlight. These samples are noisier, and the details at 100% crop are much less clear/crisp than those produced by my old Canon A610! It seems just silly to think that I would take pictures with my old camera when I want quality images and that I'd use the new one when I need lots of optical zoom and/or HD videos.

Could this difference in IQ be attributed just to sensor size? Surprisingly, the A610 has a larger sensor (1/1.8") than the SX1 or SX30 (1/2.3"), even though it has a much smaller resolution (5 MP).

I also expected there to be a large difference in IQ between the SX1 and the SX30 because the former has a CMOS sensor while the latter has a CCD one (I expected the CCD to be better, but either way, I expected *one* to be better than the *other*) - but the images are just as disappointing for both of them.

I'd be willing to sacrifice the articulated LCD for a mega-zoom camera that has an image quality the same as my old A610, but after reading reviews and comparing samples, it seems the SX1/SX30 are really as good as it gets in their category.

My question is, therefore: I know that megazooms don't do well with poor lighting, but are they really unable to produce a good IQ even with enough light? Should I just look for sensor size? Would I have to get a dSLR if I wanted good IQ (if "good" is the standard set by a 6 year old point&shoot!!) and only gain the exposure bracketing and HD filming from my wish list of new features? Could people please recommend what cameras I should consider given all my criteria above?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
I got the Lumix FZ100 and I can't be happier, it's supposed to have some issues, but once you read this Amazon.com: Rolla Gravett "Rolla Gravett"'s review of Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 14.1 MP Digital ... you'll see what a wonderfull camera it is, or you can just get the new FZ150 that is supposed to have those "issues" solved. I'm far from being an expert but I'm very satisfied with the results that I'm getting from the FZ100... And believe me, it performs better than the SX30. Once that you read the review (and this guy wrote some "cheat sheet" that you can download too) you'll see that it gets outperformed on the "superzoom" department too.
Best regards.
Luis

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
20x optical zoom doesn't tell us much, it's just the highest zoom in mm divided by the lowest zoom in mm. so a zoom lens with a focal range from 1mm to 20mm is 20x and a zoom lens with a focal range from 20mm to 400mm is also 20x, but those lenses will give you two very different amounts of zoom.

i was looking at the fujifilm hs20 which had an impressive zoom range of 24-720mm (30x) and seemed to have decent iq throughout most of the range.

Most reactions

Back