Help Me Choose A 3rd Party Lens

Stevonidas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

I recently won an eBay auction for a used Nikon D2x. I realize it's old tech compared to the D3/D3x/D300/D700, but I only paid $1,300 for it, and it only has 13,000 actuations! I feel like I got a pretty good deal overall.

I plan to shoot mainly sports (particularly pro wrestling), glamour and portrait photography with it. My budget is somewhat limited, so I don't want to spend a fortune on a lens. After some research I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

I'm not that familiar with the build quality of 3rd party glass, but am aware that Nikkor lenses are typically superior in that regard. I just don't want to pay 2-3 times more if I can get the same results optically for less money.

If there are lenses similiar to these by other brands that you would recommend, please let me know.

Thank you!

-Stevonidas

we just had a topic about the same lenses not too long ago (3 days?)

The Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 is a rather nice lens. It's somewhat soft wide open, but most lenses are. They usually work better about 2 stops up, and this is true of the Sigma as well. I have this one and really like it. It is a rather large bulky lens, but that is a side issue. It does a nice job. So while I can attest to the Sigma, I can't compare to the Tamron since they don't make a pentax mount AFAIK. The sigma is worth $429.

The D2x is a beast of a camera. Old is relative here. Built in grip, CMOS sensor, good high iso performance. If you can't get more mileage out of that camera, then something is seriously wrong.

As for the lens - I would go for the Sigma. Search for user groups on Flickr; more often then not you'll be able to get some candid "real world" use responses out of that.

The Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 is a rather nice lens. It's somewhat soft wide open, but most lenses are. They usually work better about 2 stops up, and this is true of the Sigma as well. I have this one and really like it. It is a rather large bulky lens, but that is a side issue. It does a nice job. So while I can attest to the Sigma, I can't compare to the Tamron since they don't make a pentax mount AFAIK. The sigma is worth $429.

The Sigma 24-70 hsm is listed for $899.00 at B&H I think when you mentioned $429. you were speaking of the old sigma 24-70

Most reactions

New Topics

Back