Help me with the difference between these two lenses

jg123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II USM Lens

The image stabilization would probably be a big deal for me because I am a beginner but would I be losing a lot of zoom? The first lens also starts at a lower number does that mean a wider angle?

And I might as well add this question, will a macro filter work equally as good on either of those above?

thanks

First thing that stands out to me is the fact the first is a EF-S and the other is not. Now, me being a guy that will someday have a Full Frame (5d or 1Ds MkIII or something of the like) EF-S doesn't excite me that much (because they can't use EF-S lenses) and I don't think I'll buy any for that reason. I wouldn't say you be losing a lot of zoom from 250 to 300 but there is a difference. IS is a great thing to have but I have a tripod that solves some if not all of my problems with having a somewhat "slow" (bigger minimum aperature) lens. What macro filter are you refering to?

I guess I was thinking for hand-held shots the IS would be a nice bonus it would also allow me to shoot at a lower aperature? Or is at a higher iso? Still learning the terms and what they mean :)

No specific macro filter just read you can use one to take macro pics and they are not too expensive.

thanks

hmmm.. will i get in trouble for linking to another site? :scratch:

Shifty.gif

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141406

ps. IS is for slow shutter speeds

Wow great thread! Thanks for linking that.

For the OP - I'd get the 55-250 lens, unless you think you might someday want to upgrade to one of Canon's professional bodies, or shoot film, in which case that one won't work. Otherwise get the 75-300, or save your money for the 70-300 IS. I'd definitely try to get IS. Even if conditions are good, the IS will still help stabilize the lens to compose your shot. Out at 200-300mm things can get a bit jumpy.

I am not too worried about using the lenses when I upgrade. I would probably just resell the entire package and use those funds to upgrade if and when I choose to.

What would be the next affordable upgrade in zoom if I went with the 55-250?

Well that depends on what you consider affordable. The next upgrade from the 55-250 i would say would probably be the 70-200 F4 L non is. (about 500 or so used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back