Help! Nikon D5100 Black Images

srh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. Recently my Nikon D5100 has been producing black images no matter what dial mode it's in. The weird thing is that the camera works in Live View mode, but I don't like taking pictures in Live View because it's to slow.

Another weird thing is that every time I switch the camera out of Live View the first picture I take works, but any after that come out black. I don't want to have to switch in and out of Live View every time just to take a picture.

Ive had my camera for a year now with no problems until this. I take pictures as a hobby on my days off. I"ll be honest and admit I don't know how everything works on my camera. I still have a lot to learn. I did reset the settings, but that didn't help.

If any of you have any suggestions or experienced something similar I would love to hear from you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How long have you had the camera?

I've had the camera for about 14 months, and nope the Lens Cap was off lol.

lol...just messin with ya. I said that because just yesterday a guy at the zoo was trying to take a photo for like 3 minutes, and couldn't figure out that the lens cap was on.

Another weird thing is that every time I switch the camera out of Live View the first picture I take works, but any after that come out black.
Your camera needs to be repaired. At 14 months the regular 1 year warranty no longer applies.

It's a problem with either the main mirror or the shutter. It could be an electronic fault rather than a mechanical fault

lol...just messin with ya. I said that because just yesterday a guy at the zoo was trying to take a photo for like 3 minutes, and couldn't figure out that the lens cap was on.

Hey, I went all the way to the marina yesterday without a battery in my camera :)

If it's working in live view but not otherwise it sounds like the mirror isn't flipping up and out of the way during normal operation.

Most reactions

Back