Help on a Wide Angle and Zoom/Tele Lens

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, oh wise ones... with christmas on its way and also alot of overtime for me, i think a couple of new lenses are on the cards.

First off, Wide Angle:
Ive used the search button and had a good browse for an hour or so, but im still undecided. I was thinking of maybe a 10-22mm sigma, the Canon altho the better lens, a bit over priced for me if i want 2 lenses, cause im greedy. What do you guys know and feel about this lens? Good for scenes and landscape shots?

Next up, a Zoom of Telephoto.
I guess i should reaserch but i guess someone could tell me the difference between the two sorts, in laymens terms :D
I quite like just going wandering with the camera around woodlands etc, and at the moment the 55-200mm lens i got, just doesnt cut the mustard no matter how carefully i creep and wear camo... the damm critters scarper. I also love my motoracing, something for these kind of purposes.
Again im on a budget here, so after as much for as little, however if someone can sway me, ive heard the L series lenses are cracking.

Which ones to choose i have no idea. My local shop would be this place, http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/, so help, advice, pros and cons and links to cheap products greatly recieved.

Ps, this is for a Canon 350D.. yes i know a body upgrade would be nice, but thats something ill look that later. Budget i would put at £1000 maybe for the two.... but cheap is always nice, if someone has something to recommend.

Cheers, Andrew

ANDS!

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Pbase.com and FredMiranda.com - reviews and samples of nearly every lens out there for Canon.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Next up, a Zoom of Telephoto.
I guess i should reaserch but i guess someone could tell me the difference between the two sorts, in laymens terms
The two terms are not mutually exclusive.

Zoom: a lens that has a variable focal length...it could be 10mm to 20mm or it could be 200mm to 500mm.
Telephoto: A lens with a focal length that is longer than 'normal'. In this case, you could say that any lens over 50mm is a telephoto. It could be a telephoto zoom, 70-200mm for example....or it could be a telephoto prime (fixed focal length) like a 300mm lens.

I went with the Canon 10-22 over the Sigma or the Tokina 12-24...but it was more expensive.

As for a telephoto...what's your budget?

OP
Goldeeno

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Photos OK to edit
Cheers ANDS and Big Mike. For the telephoto id say £500? Maybe a bit more, or less, if it will get a better product, i know generally you get what you pay for. But you have to draw the line somewhere.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, there are 4 different versions of the 70-200mm lens in the Canon line up. They won't get you any further than the 55-200...but they are among the very best zoom lenses in terms of image quality. The F2.8 IS version is the best (& most expensive one) but the F4 version is quite affordable and very sharp.

There are a few 70-300 zoom lenses...most of which are not very good...at least they are fairly cheap. There is an IS version though, which is much better, and may be a good option for you.

After that, we get into the really expensive lenses. 300mm F4, 100-400 F4-5.6 L IS....and the list goes on and the prices go up.

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
the Sigma 10-20 is supposedly great. I've seen a few reviews and pics...all looked good. My uncle likes his.
I'd recommend the Sigma 10-20 and the Canon 70-200 F4L. But if you get that...you'll probably never get a cheap lens again...lol

Most reactions