Help Please! I'm making the switch

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally saved up enough money to make the switch from my 35mm to the 40D. I plan on buying my xmas present to myself LOL from B&H but wonder if its better to go with Adorama instead. Is there a difference?

Also I don't know if its worth the money to buy an extended warrantee. I have in the past but have never used it. Going to DSLR is it worth the cash? I don't mind spending but I wanted to ask.

Last, what kind of memory card would you recommend buying to use with the 40D? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of getting the wrong one.

TIA for your help.

My brother just got it from B&H. I get all my stuff from them as well. No reason not to really...

Get the package with 2 x 2gb cards...it comes with sandisk ultras and is only like 40 bucks extra.

I wouldn't buy the warranty, but that's just me...

do you pla to switch whithin one system? (Nikon to Nikon, or Canon to Canon, or .) .. or do you also switch completely to a new brand?

if you plan on using your old lenses, then you should consider the crop factor. if you did like the short range of your lenses in your 35mm days, then you will probably want a wider angle lens soon.

Lot's of people here have had positive experiences with both - I have had two terrible experiences with Adorama, and will even cross the street when I walk past them in Manhattan.

B&H is my choice.

The only time you will ever need an extended warranty is if you didn't buy one.

Find out what it costs to do a major non-warranty repair and put that amount in the bank. If you don't need it then you will still have it after the time would have run out and if you do then there is a good chance that that amount will cover the repair.

Also look into insurance (the real kind that covers theft and most everything else) as you may find that is the better deal.

Last, what kind of memory card would you recommend buying to use with the 40D? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of getting the wrong one.

TIA for your help.

It really depends on how you're going to take pictures. I shoot RAW+Large JPG. But I suggest that you get two (2) 4gb cards and alternate between the 2 cards.

I stick with B&H for my online needs when I can. Thier customer service is outstanding. Never had a problem with them in all of my dealings. If you get the CF cards, splurge a little for the faster ones if you can; 266X and more. The 6.5fps on the 40D can really fill the buffer fast in burst shooting RAW (if your into that) and the faster cards can squeeze in a couple of extra shots. No less that 4GBs. At 10.1MP RAW anything less fills up rather quick in the digital world.

I've dealt with Adorama 2 times now. Prices were good, service was good... delivery costs were beyond outrageous.

B&H or another "known" vedor on Amazon gets my hard earned dollars now.

do you pla to switch whithin one system? (Nikon to Nikon, or Canon to Canon, or .) .. or do you also switch completely to a new brand?

if you plan on using your old lenses, then you should consider the crop factor. if you did like the short range of your lenses in your 35mm days, then you will probably want a wider angle lens soon.
I plan on staying within Canon :) I hadn't thought about the wide angel lens so thanks for the heads up. I am saving up to get a 50mm f1.4 next.

It really depends on how you're going to take pictures. I shoot RAW+Large JPG. But I suggest that you get two (2) 4gb cards and alternate between the 2 cards.

If you get the CF cards, splurge a little for the faster ones if you can; 266X and more. The 6.5fps on the 40D can really fill the buffer fast in burst shooting RAW (if your into that) and the faster cards can squeeze in a couple of extra shots. No less that 4GBs. At 10.1MP RAW anything less fills up rather quick in the digital world.
i have never shot in RAW before so thanks for the heads up. I will look into the better cards :)

i have never shot in RAW before so thanks for the heads up. I will look into the better cards :)

That's another thread in itself. If you are unfamiliar with RAW and it's attributes, do a search and you can read up on the pro's and cons of using RAW. It's my preferred method of saving data, but yours may differ. Eats up memory like its going out of fashion, but well worth it. :mrgreen:

I would start with just one software for now until you learn it well. Lightroom is fast and fairly easy to learn. there are some others that I am sure somebody will chime in on to try. But the key is you will be more productive in the end if you learn a program first then add one at a time from there if you try lightroom, photoshop, and lightzone all at once chances are you will be overwhelmed and not get the most you can out of each even though the are all good programs in there own right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back