Help Please.

SRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not going to pretend to know much about photography, but I'm seriously looking into buying a camera. I'm pretty sure I don't need something that good at the moment, but I'm interested in the D80 (or a lower end nikon dslr) because I don't want to have to get a better camera for a long while - and I'd be taking pictures of people skateboarding which involves a lot of quick movement, up close. I'd definitely be getting a fisheye (i think it's called) lens cause I'd be getting close to the subject, if it changes anything. Basically, I want some feedback as to whether or not the D80 would be too hard to learn on for a beginner. If it is, I'd appreciate a recommendation for a camera where I could still play with the ISO, shutter speed, etc settings. Zoom is not very important to me.
Thanks in advance.

I use a Nikon D40, and it has suited me very well. It's a great beginner camera at a great price, and I don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon.

I have some friends who use a D80, but there really is no difference in pictures unless you know how to harness all its capabilities.

D40's usually come with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens (I don't know what the 5.6G ED II means), so the lens will not be a problem if you're not into zoom.

Welcome to TPF.

There are a couple of threads that help you decide which camera to buy. Most DSLRs will do what you want and I don't know much about the D80 but being a newb myself, it probably won't be too hard. Most DSLRs are the same with differences in quality and format with some extra perks along the way. ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed are the important parts so if you can adjust those as needed along with different lenses, you should be fine.

If you have budget for D80 + lens ... GO FOR IT!

D40/D40x there will be arguements against.

D80 may have more then you need now - my thinking is to get the best you can afford or you may spend more in future to upgrade.

Make sure you have enough budget for lens as well.

thanks everybody, i'm going with the d80!

A d80 will keep you satisfied for a good long time, A fisheye lens will probably run about $500-600, and You may want to start with a kit lens as well, Fisheyes are cool but after the first dozen photos in a series it gets a little old. I don't know anything about the kit lens quality however, I'll leave that up to others who have actually used them.

Agreed on Fisheye lenses. Yeah they are good for skateboard photography but its not a new tequnique and its extremely overdone. Get a wide angle lens (10mm)in editing you can always apply a fisheye filter. A 10-20 with cost close to a fisheye but give you more versatility

I'm not going to pretend to know much about photography, but I'm seriously looking into buying a camera. I'm pretty sure I don't need something that good at the moment, but I'm interested in the D80 (or a lower end nikon dslr) because I don't want to have to get a better camera for a long while - and I'd be taking pictures of people skateboarding which involves a lot of quick movement, up close. I'd definitely be getting a fisheye (i think it's called) lens cause I'd be getting close to the subject, if it changes anything. Basically, I want some feedback as to whether or not the D80 would be too hard to learn on for a beginner. If it is, I'd appreciate a recommendation for a camera where I could still play with the ISO, shutter speed, etc settings. Zoom is not very important to me.
Thanks in advance.
I have a D80 and I'm thrilled with it. Depending on your personal viewpoint, you can consider it the top of Nikon's low-end cameras or the bottom of Nikon's high-end cameras.

Yes the camera will be difficult, but not impossible, for a newbie. You've got to convince yourself that you can't learn everything overnight.

I just bought a D80 as my first slr. I upgraded to the 18-200mm lenz. I am positive it will last me a long time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back