Help: Using a YN560 with a Nikon D7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
This link will show basic setup instructions.
I understand the frustration. Speedlight does Work ! I have the WS560 which is similar to YN560 and a Nikon D7000.
Fresh Batteries is very important. Replace AA batteries after 2 hours of usage or 50 flashes or until it stops working properly.
If a blinking blue led is lit reduce the Speedlight flash power until it changes to a red LED.
On the menu item e3 or bracketing / Flash navigate to commander mode.
Note the flash shutter speed 1/60th sec and the flash sync speed 1/250sec.
My camera exposure settings are 1/160s f8 iso100.
Press pop up flash button on the left hand side near the top and hold as you view the menu on top of the camera. Mine is set to --2.
You are replying to a 6 year old thread. Posted by a member who passed away several years ago. Please check dates before replying to the “similar posts” at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

I could swear I've done this successfully before, but now I'm having no luck at all using my flash, Yongnuo YN560, with my D7000, OFF camera.
Maybe when I've done it before I've used my wireless triggers.

Anyway, I am looking for SPECIFIC settings to make these two specific items play well together, not for general advice.

I have the D7000 built-in flash in Commander mode and the flash set to slave mode, s1 specifically.

It "works" in that, when I take a picture, the flash fires. BUT: It has NO effect. The photo is just as dark as if the flash had not fired.

IS there a way to set this up so that, using just the commander mode (not triggers), I can use the flash off-camera and NOT have the built-in flash go off as well?

No, there is no way the remote manual flash S1 mode will work with camera flash Commander mode.

To be using that camera menu, I am assuming you want the camera builtin flash to trigger the remote in S1 mode. You need to set the camera flash menu to Manual flash mode, and then it will do what you want. The camera Manual flash might even perhaps be set to pretty low Manual power just enough to trigger the remote without also contributing frontal fill flash, or it can be set to the proper power to do what you want from it.

Reason it is not working:

Commander mode is designed to work the CLS flashes in AWL remote mode, which the YN560 S1 is Not. Then, before the shutter opens, it flashes some low level command signals to the remotes (to set their power level from this Commander menu). Those flashes will trigger the S1 slave before the shutter opens, so it cannot contribute to the picture lighting. The remote flash will have already been fired when the shutter opens.

The same is true if using camera flash TTL mode. TTL also fires a lowlevel preflash before the shutter opens, and low level preflash so will trigger the S1 flash too early to be useful.

But camera flash Manual mode will do what you want. to trigger the remote flash S1 trigger in sync.

Locking this thread. See my previous post about checking the dates before replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back