Help! Will this be what I need?

alchera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright,
here's the scoop. I'm renting a camera to photograph a wedding. I've been using a Fugi Finepix s5100 but I'm not confident that it will provide a high enough quality image for I what I want. Keep in mind the person I am photographing for is well aware that I have done lots of portraits but this is my first "official" wedding...by "official" I mean paid. What I have come up with for a rental is the Cannon Digital Rebel. What I am not certain about is which lens to get. I am going to list them below and if people could tell me which they think would be best and then your 2nd and 3rd choices and why I would be forever grateful. Here they are...
Canon 28-105 F 3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 28-200 F 3.5-5.6
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DF
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Ultra Wide Angle
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

My next question is about a flash. The wedding itself will be outside but the reception will be indoors and I'm certain a flash will be necesarry. My two options are.....
Canon 580EX SpeedLite
Canon 420EX SpeedLite
which would you recomend and what can I expect from each.

Please respond! Your help will be most appreciated. I absolutely want to make sure I'm prepared.

Canon 28-105 and sigma 28-200 are too slow of a lens for my taste indoors
Canon EF 16-35mm is too wide. Does not flatter people and portraits
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM is an awsome portrait lens for weddings but will be too long of a focal length for the indoor reception
Canon 300mm is way too long and unless you will have a few camera bodies available I would stick to zoom.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 seems to me as the best choice although I have no experience with the lens.

As for the flash, Canon 580EX Speedlite has the best guide number and faster cycling times. If possible get the external battery pack, you'll need it for hte indoor reception.

Be sure to get all the equipment ahead of time, you'll need to become intimately comfortable with it prior to the wedding. No time to figure things out on the fly. Also, don't forget extra batteries, compact flash cards.. etc...

do research here on people's input on wedding photography and start preparing.

Has anyone used the Sigma 24-70 f2.8? As far as flash cards....what will I need?

Is there a digital camera that anyone could recomend that maybe isn't SLR?

I'm beginning to become slightly overwhelmed. I have always used my Fugi and I know how to adjust setting like my apature, shutter speed ect.

How difficult is it to figure out an SLR camera if you've never used one?

Please...any help will be great. I will have the cannon 3 days prior to the wedding....is that enough time to get comfortable with the new equipment?

alchera said:
I'm beginning to become slightly overwhelmed. I have always used my Fugi and I know how to adjust setting like my apature, shutter speed ect.

You will do better with gear you are familiar with than you would with brand, new, unknown gear. Stick with what you have, and try your best. If you have unfamiliar gear you will spend too much time and energy fiddling and learning to use it. Timing is everything in wedding photography, you'll need to be paying attention to the bride and groom, not a DSLR. If the photos are from a lower image quality camera, but reflect the emotion and excitement of the day it'll be better than if they are from a $1000+ DSLR, and suck.

Good luck. Get some better gear, and learn to use it before you tackle your next wedding.

IMHO the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is the only one you need. Perhaps a 20mm ish one for the crazy informal pictures of the kids - get really low with the wide lenses. Don't forget your stepladder!

Rob

On a digirebel, that 70mm lens is more like 112m lens. Great for portrait or outdoors but I find it very difficult to shoot at that focal length in a typical reception hall filled with people. You end up shooting from a distance that can be difficult to obtain and people end up walking through the shot.

Most reactions

Back