Help, with dslr choice.

Darius Ciprian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy my first dslr and i've come across some used cameras. I want to shoot wildlife and landscapes mostly.

1.Canon eos 600d
-3 years old, 45.000 shutter count
-lens Kit EFS 18-55
- lens EF 75-300
- lens Yongnuo 50mm f1.8
- bag
-2 batteries spare
302 euro

2.Nikon 3200
-9000 shutter count
-lens Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
-tripod
-16 gb card
-ML-L3 remote
-hama polarizer filter
-bag
281 euro

Any advice is welcomed.
Darius

Last edited:
I'm leaning more towards the canon package, but I'm a bit afraid because of the big shutter count...

60d faster af, better build quality, faster FPS and second control wheel.

45000 is ok. Rated at 100000, but they can go at 10000 or stay til over a million

While the nikon is a newer model 2012 vs 2010, the canon package, imho, is a much better buy having three lenses included.
Sorry there was a mistake in the sellers descrption, he said the camera is Canon 600d.

That does change things, I think the Rebel series is a great camera and I've used a couple. That said you will really need to visually inspect. They are not built for abuse and if the previous owner really used the camera it might be near it's end. Not sure I would pick up a used Rebel(that old) as my primary camera unless it was in incredible shape. I used mine for two years and saw it was going to have a limited life span unlike a 70D or 5D that will go for many many years.

Nothing wrong with Nikon if those are your only two choices.

The D3200 handily betters the T3i (600D) in a couple of important imaging parameters. Nikon D3200 vs Canon EOS Rebel T3i, EOS 600D | DxOMark

Plus, the Canon is high on shutter count. The 18-55 lens with the Nikon is the better-grade 18-55 with Vibration Reduction.

The overall sensor score of 65 for the Canon is easily bettered by multiple Nikon and Sony A-series cameras.

The Yongnuo 50mm is an inexpensive copy of a very cheap Canon 50mm design, with one less element, to keep costs down. The Canon CAN accept an external microphone for video, the Nikon cannot. The cameras are basically similar in most respects, but the Nikon has wider dynamic range and better color bit depth and better High ISO performance. I would not buy a camera these days that has an overall sensor score of 65...that is decidedly way behind the curve for an entry-level camera now that Sony has started selling sensors to Nikon,Pentax,and using their own sensor tech in Sony-branded cameras.

Depends what you want to be saddled with: Canon, or Nikon lenses and accessories for the future.

Most reactions

Back