Feedback on my plan to shift from FF Nikon DSLR to APS-C Fuji mirrorless

As for Rez. shots, I have alot of contacts with the Pueblos, but the area I can shoot is extreemly limited except for the bounding proeprties like Federal Land and the like. Anything deep inside is typically off limits.

So good work on that.

Hopi I can see easier, Navajo.. not so much.

Thanks! I was really lucky to find myself in that situation with the Hopi village, which was Sichomovi, next to Walpi on First Mesa. I did photograph Navajo as well, but not during ceremonial times. It was a great experience.

Well believe it or not, I figured the Fuji because the image is less "grainy". There is a transitional smoothness with newer digital over the older stuff.

Hate to say it, but the mirrorless is starting to win me over.

I wanted to share with you my thinking about my camera transition in progress and get your feedback. I know this is a very personal preference but I like to listen to different points of views and keep an open mind.

I have been shooting Nikon DSLRs for 13 years and full frame DSLR for the last 10 years, starting with the excellent D700. During these years I acquired a lens kit with the best Nikon and prime lenses. The weight and bulk of this equipment is no longer appealing to my current style of photography and I am moving to Fuji mirrorless and selling all my Nikon equipment.

My main interest is travel, portraiture and street. I may do some architectural or landscape work as part of travel, but I am focused on the human experience for the most part.

I abandoned using the Nikon gear a while ago and have been traveling extensively with my Fuji x100 and then x100t. I don't have plans to move from the x100t to the x100f, but there is a next gen Fuji x100* coming in 2020.

The camera replacing the FF Nikon is Fuji XT-3. My dilemma is how to deal with lenses, and this is where I could use some feedback. My current plan is to actually limit the number of Fuji lenses to just 2, namely, the highly-praised 18-55mm kit lens (variable aperture f2.8-f4) and the 56mm f1.2. This covers most of my needs, but obviously I only have fast glass at the 85mm equivalent. To compensate for that I plan to keep my x100t with its excellent 35mm equivalent f2 fixed lens with the WCL converter lens, to get the 28mm equiv at f2. This is the camera I take when I travel, so I will be able to use it for that purpose and also in town whenever I want to do street or impromptu portraits. Love the leaf shutter on that camera for flash photography as well. Once the new x100* is available next year i will upgrade my x100t.

The alternative is to purchase fast lenses for the xt3, like the 24mm equiv f1.4 and the 35mm equiv f1.4 - these lenses together would cost me more than the upgraded x100* and will also create redundancy. I would probably feel the desire to take the xt3 on travels and switch lenses, which is not something I do today. If I were this route I would probably not upgrade the x100t and eventually just use the xt3 for everything. The camera bag with the xt3 and several lenses is already more than I am willing to carry around all day, hence the idea of keeping the x100 format for the foreseeable future.

So... two cameras and fewer lenses, or a single body with more lenses? Any opinions?

I understand completely. I used a D700 for many years with all the F2.8 lenses. After two knee replacements, though, the weight was getting to me. I sold everything to KEH, and bought the Fuji X-T2, and now use the X-T3 body. I currently have the XF23 f1.4 lens, the XF55-200 lens, and the XF80f2.8 macro lens. My new XF16-80F4.0 is shipping from Adorama tomorrow. I imagine these will be all the lenses I need, unless something new and desirable comes along later. I love the 23mm lens, and the fast f stop is nice under low light conditions. I had the XF50-140 F2.8 lens for a while, but it was so big and heavy that I felt like I was returning to the old Nikon glass. So I sold it and went with the slower 55-200, and love that lens. I enjoy macro photography, so I got the 80 mm and it is superb. I wanted a good walking around lens, so waited and luckily got one of the new 16-80mm f4 lenses. I should have it Tuesday, so I’ll see how it does. I had thought about also getting the XF35 f1.4 lens, but decided not to, as I would only be getting an extra 12 mm for $600.00 more, so for now I’m going to stick with what I’ve got. The 23 mm f1.4 for wide angle and low light, the 16-80 f4 for everyday use, the 80mm for macro shots, and the 55-200 for more telephoto reach. For travel, when we fly, I’ll leave the big 80 mm at home, and the X-T3 and the three smaller lenses will be lightweight and fit nicely in a shoulder bag. Good luck with your decision. I love the Fuji, and would never go back to FF.

Glad you are happy with your Fuji! Their lenses are fantastic and their bodies are a joy to hold. I don't miss my Nikon equipment at all.

Through years of traveling only with the x100 and later x100t I have trained myself to work with only one lens, and it's very rare for me to change lenses in the field. And because I prefer shooting with primes, I end up doing all my work with a single lens. This is not a bad thing. Yesterday I took the XT-3 and my Olympus OM-1 for a photo walk shooting Tmax and I didn't remove the 35mm f2 from the Fuji or the 50mm f1.4 from the OM-1. I guess I am lazy :)

Have fun with your new 16-80mm lens!

I understand completely. I used a D700 for many years with all the F2.8 lenses. After two knee replacements, though, the weight was getting to me. I sold everything to KEH, and bought the Fuji X-T2, and now use the X-T3 body. I currently have the XF23 f1.4 lens, the XF55-200 lens, and the XF80f2.8 macro lens. My new XF16-80F4.0 is shipping from Adorama tomorrow. I imagine these will be all the lenses I need, unless something new and desirable comes along later. I love the 23mm lens, and the fast f stop is nice under low light conditions. I had the XF50-140 F2.8 lens for a while, but it was so big and heavy that I felt like I was returning to the old Nikon glass. So I sold it and went with the slower 55-200, and love that lens. I enjoy macro photography, so I got the 80 mm and it is superb. I wanted a good walking around lens, so waited and luckily got one of the new 16-80mm f4 lenses. I should have it Tuesday, so I’ll see how it does. I had thought about also getting the XF35 f1.4 lens, but decided not to, as I would only be getting an extra 12 mm for $600.00 more, so for now I’m going to stick with what I’ve got. The 23 mm f1.4 for wide angle and low light, the 16-80 f4 for everyday use, the 80mm for macro shots, and the 55-200 for more telephoto reach. For travel, when we fly, I’ll leave the big 80 mm at home, and the X-T3 and the three smaller lenses will be lightweight and fit nicely in a shoulder bag. Good luck with your decision. I love the Fuji, and would never go back to FF.

Good job! Stella was photographed with my X-T3 and an old manual Olympus OM 100mm f2.8 lens at f/2.8, 1/250, ISO200

the biggest giveaway was the IQ.

Most reactions

Back