help with family photos and focus

HFPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This may be a dumb question but if your taking family photos with 4 or 5 people in it is it better to stand father away to get everyone in focus? I am struggling with getting everyone in focus. I shoot with an XTI, 50mm 1.8 lens. I am on f 3.5. and I focus on the person in the middle but then the people behind are out of focus what am I doing wrong? We are usually outside. Sometimes in low light. should I use a tripod?

FattyMcJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am on f 3.5.

There's your problem right there. Stop down a bit more to give you more DoF.

Also, try having everyone on the same plane of focus. Have the people in the back lean forward just a bit, but don't exaggerate it. If that's not possible, your only option is to pull back and use a smaller aperture.

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have been told the rule of thumb is the # of people should give you the F-Stop.
So if there are 4 people up need to go above 3.5, 5 needs to be higher then 5.
For a large family, I'd get as large as I could, make sure the background is pleasing, just because it would really suck for jilly and joey to be in focus and mom and dad to be OOF>

jjparson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You need to use a smaller aperture to keep everyone in focus. This could be problematic depending on the light source you have because it will rewuire a slower shutter speed to properly expose the picture. If underexposure becomes an issue, the only realistic option is to bump the ISO up to create a proper exposure. Of course you could add light as well via flash. If you have not already done so, you should purchase "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It is a phenomenal place to start as you develop as a photographer. Good luck with the family pictures.

djacobox372

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
djacob372.deviantart.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Standing further away will help widen your DOF and keep everybody in focus, it will also flatten the prespective and make for a more flattering photo. You can always crop later.

I always try to make sure my subjects are at least 12 feet away, preferably 15 or 20.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Increasing distance dramatically increases depth of field. Stopping the lens down to a somewhat smaller aperture, like f/5.6, might really be a good idea on deeper groups,however.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics