Help with subjects.

Tyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tls-photo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need some ideas of what to photograph, I want to stock my web page with Images that other people want to see. Lets see what you all can come up with. I see things that would look good but them I think well who would want to look at that? Can anyone come up with a list of subjects?

I have no studio so it has to be outdoor stuff, Generalize!

Well, why is it so important to you that OTHERS like what you like to look at? Give those things that are attractive to you a chance to be "highlighted" or "underlined" or in any way emphasised by being taken out of their context and into the frame given by a photo. And see later if that is interesting to others.

And if there is something, someWHERE, some subject that is in close reach and appeals to you a lot, try to make a series of it: go back at all possible times of the day, in all possible light situations, atmospheric situations, seasons - cover it from all sides and angles and perspectives.

Like that train yard where you took the photos of your daughter ... I am sure there is quite something to explore!

Or go round with a certain theme in your mind, such as: farm windows.
Spectactular looking trees. A certain colour that you want to find and photograph exclusively on that particular day.

Give yourself assignments.
Tell yourself it is all about "lines" on one day.
And all about the sky on another (that could also become a "running theme" in your head).

Venture out at night (given you have a tripod) and test yourself on nighttime photography.

Do more shootings with your daughter or other "willing victims" ;).

Play with desk lamps and a black background (or white or whatever bed linen you can get hold of ;)) and place little objects there and play with how to light them to create different emotions.

There is so much you can do...

I see things that would look good but them I think well who would want to look at that?

Don't worry about what other people want to look at. Photograph the things that you are interested in. I believe that photographers usually create more interesting photos photographing subjects that mean something to them. If it turns out that other people like your photos too, that's icing on the cake.

I shoot what other people want to see...well guys mainly...

I shoot girls!!!! :lmao:

Now if you're wanting to shoot subjects other people want to see as in a business capacity, that's a little different. That usually consist of knowing what type of customers you want to cater to then shooting that style of work.

Lockwood, you have resuscitated an ancient old thread! For a while I thought "What, has Tyson come BACK?" But no, he has not, and I doubt he'll still find your suggestions on what all could be a possible subject.

I shoot what other people want to see...well guys mainly...

I shoot girls!!!! :lmao:

Now if you're wanting to shoot subjects other people want to see as in a business capacity, that's a little different. That usually consist of knowing what type of customers you want to cater to then shooting that style of work.

Bring on the GIRLS!!!

I give myself a bunch of different challenges. For instance, one day I can only shoot something with the color blue in it. Another day I will only shoot vertical shots, or "Dutch" angles. Here are some other subjects, or conditions you can set for yourself.
Cars, buildings, animals, kids, self portrait, movement, freeze the action, water, reflections, horizons, close-up, happy, lonely, danger, trees, fruits, looking up, looking down, black & white, the workplace, co-workers.
How about a travel magazine type photo spread of your backyard, or local park.
One other "exercise" I do is when I leave the house for work in the morning, I always have my compact digital camera with me, and I can't go home until I have taken at least one shot that I would be willing to show to someone else. This keeps me constantly looking at the world as a photograph. I can be sitting at a red light, looking at a building, and instead of staring at it blankly, I'm looking at it to see if there is an interesting angle. When you force yourself to take at least one good photograph a day, looking for that one good shot never leaves your mind, and you will be pleasantly surprised at what you will come up with. The beauty of digital is that is something doesn't work, you erase it and try again.
One last tip. Log on to a site like Flickr, browse some of the categories you will find there, study the images that impress you the most, what angle did they use, time of day, composition etc., then go out and try to replicate it. The best way to learn is by studying those better than you.
Happy shooting.
PS I have assembled lots of videos from amateurs and pros alike that you can see at www.photography-help.com

Most reactions

Back