Help with the language.

MM & Arch;

I am again in your debt. It's a bit of a go out here in the colonies, if you get my meaning. Can't even locate a decent cricket bat!

[in whisper; 'Let you guys in on a secret -- many Yanks still feel inferior when confronted with an upper-class British accent.']

I'm not sure if these are regional or what...

Laughin' = a reply in the positive, as in...

Q: "Is it ok to to go around to your house tonight?"
A: "Yes it's Laughin'"

or

Q: "I hear Jimmy was in a car crash, is he ok?"
A: "Yeah, he's laughin'"

"Boss" (Pretty sure this is regional) = Means something is good, as in

"I've just seen that new Superman movie and it was boss"

"Kickin' off" or "Kick-off" = used to describe a fight or confrontation, as in...

"Dave was kickin' off on Bob because he spilt his pint, so Bobs' bird got involved and kicked off on Dave"

"Innit" - Placed at the end of a sentence to ask for agreement or confirmation. Is an emalgamation of the words 'Is it not' or 'Isn't it". It can be stuck at the end of most sentences to force the listener into a response, Like this...

"Wow, that's a really smart motor you've got yourself there Steve. Innit?"

'mint', 'boss' and 'laughin', meaning just what you said Arch, are pretty common around these parts. been sayin 'mint' in that respect since I was a kid. It's not so popular now tho.

Anyone heard this one?: hawked; meaning 'stole'..as in "I just hawked this pen from the 7-eleven"

'Boss' and 'hawk' have both shown up as illegal immigrants here. For a while, 'gear' was used the same as 'boss.'

'Man, that new Jag's really gear.'

While I'm at it, can anyone place the accent of the fellow who stars in 'Red Dwarf? It falls rather well on the ears of this particular American.

yea craig charles is a scouser...... or rather, he's from liverpool...... a liverpudlian....

i am in fact half scouse..... all my family on my mothers side are liverpudlian.... but in my actual family its only my mother who still has an accent..... although me and my brothers sometimes spill the odd scouse word by accident.

I think JohnMF is a born scouser (right john?) and if so probably speaks like craig charles or 'dave lister' ;)

Torus34 said:
For a while, 'gear' was used the same as 'boss.'

'Man, that new Jag's really gear.'

over here gear is an old (well, a few decades old) term for weed. Having said that, there's a whole lingo that goes with the drugs underworld that could probably fill a few pages, here's a few:

Billy: methamphetamine (SP) or speed, so called after a character in the Beano (children’s comic) called Billy Whiz who was always in a hurry.

Whiz: as above

pills, little ones, ecky, little white friend, sweeties: all mean ecstasy

Charlie, magic dust, Bolivian marching powder: Cocaine. (the Bolivians really did give it to soldiers to help them fight, scary eh!) Charlie originates from a TV character for children designer by the government and appearing in various how to cross the road safely ads, not too sure why though...

teenth: a sixteenth of an ounce of cannabis (weed or solid)

Henry: and 8th of an ounce after Henry the 8th.

daughter, gale porter: quarter of an ounce. Daughter is cockney rhyming slang and there's meant to be a word in front of it but I forget what it is.

'aving a laugh: Half an ounce

9 barr: 9 ounces, not sure where this originated from.

Skag, brown: heroin, I'm not sure where skag originates from, probably just related to heroin because it's a nasty sounding word and it's a nasty drug. (etymological dictionary doesn't know the origins either, doh!)

Mud, mudma: MDMA

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, over to someone else!

ps. I'm not a junkie myself but I have met a few in my time.

'Gear' (as in good) i haven't heared that one for years. over here I think it's more of a word from my dads generation, he uses it every now and again

Archangel said:
yea craig charles is a scouser...... or rather, he's from liverpool...... a liverpudlian....

i am in fact half scouse..... all my family on my mothers side are liverpudlian.... but in my actual family its only my mother who still has an accent..... although me and my brothers sometimes spill the odd scouse word by accident.

I think JohnMF is a born scouser (right john?) and if so probably speaks like craig charles or 'dave lister' ;)

Yes, i'm a scouser, i've been told my accent is quite mild though...

Arch, so, which part of the city does your mum come from then??

me mam grew up in Wavertree (<see bit of an accent :lol: )..... and thats where i used to go several times a year to visit my nan and my auntie..... my aunt is my only surviving relative that still lives in liverpool..... apart from some family friends ;) ...... me and my bro's love liverpool..... the best part of our childhood.

wavertree's the other side of the city from me so i haven't ventured there too often. Still visit often?

not really john..... havent been there in years, which is a shame.... my aunti and unkle sometimes come down here instead, with thier young scouse daughter.... she's very cute. ...... but i plan on going up to watch a liverpool game one season. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back