help

theinvisiblecity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok not what I had imagined to be my first post but here it goes...

a number of random photos stored on my hard drive (windows) have suddenly become "locked". Some tiffs...some jpegs.....totally random....some things I've worked on recently.....some things I haven't touched in months.

I use windows XP and photoshop 7.0. I have no idea what is going on. help.

michael

What exactly do you mean by locked? Can you not view them with any software or just PS. Or are you just not able to edit them? Can you give a specific error message or screen shot.

I can't open them at all with any program. The message says:

" blahbla.tif can not be opened because the file is locked. Use the properties command in windows explorer to unlock the file".

....I of course have tried and searched for how to unlock them with no luck at all.

Very strange and very frustrating. Some of them I had messed around with the day before with no problem...others I hadn't touced in a month.

Hmm... I'm useless here. The only thing that comes to mind is right clicking the file, going to properties and changing the attributes of the file.

you may need to run chkdsk /f on the drive.

The system will tell you it will need to run during a reboot. When its done try again and let us know what happens.

Good luck.

That's usually an error you would get on a network say, and someone else has a file open already. This may sound dumb, but have you tried restarting your computer?

Also try running task manager and closing down any unnecessary processes.

Checking the file attributes would be a wise step too.

Last but not least, visit the support forum :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back