Here you go...my first atempts..

allendehl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well...these are my first night shuts. These are views from my condo...really nice views. Nothing to do with this pictures though...LOL

I tried everything, the wide angle, the telephoto and I couldn't do a nice shut...I'm a little bit upset with myself.:grumpy:..at least the views are not going anywhere anytime soon...so I can try again.

As far as I know at nights one of the mayor issues is the speed, in my case I did every possible effort with the ISO, the ZOOM and the aperture to try to work with the highest possible speed but it was just impossible. To make the exposure meter stick in 0 I had to shut at extra low speed...that's why 101% of the photos are OOF.
Sometimes I even disregard the meter and did some shuts at low exposure...of course the buildings are barely visible.

The one with my wife was underexposure..I couldn't match the parameters to fit all together.

I need suggestions about what to do to be able to take pictures as these ones?

These are some examples...please take a look and let me know how to improve them?...All the photos are taken with the 18-55mm lens...and the higher possible aperture depending on the zoom.

1(exp: 1sec; ISO 200; f/5)
IMG_0346.jpg

2(Exp 6s; ISO 200; f/4.5)
IMG_0326.jpg

3(outside at night, just some regular lighting; exp 1/6seg; ISO 800; f/3.5)
IMG_0305.jpg

4(exp 1s; ISO 800; f/5)
IMG_0360.jpg

Last edited:
One word: tripod

Any other attempts at night photography will be pretty much futile. You could jack up the ISO to 1600, but it will be very noisy. However, you still would have to hold the camera pretty steady.

You need a tripod.

The first two are not out of focus ... this was caused by camera shake (due to the low shutter speed).

as stated, when taking night pictures of buildings and such, a tripod is a must. If you don't have one, try using a bean bag or some other surface to steady your camera and use the timer to let the camera take the picture.

Thanks guys..that's what I thought...hum...It looks like I have to roam around with a tripod LOL

What are your thoughts about #3 and #4?

I think #4, with a tripod and longer shutter speed could make a reaally nice shot. you did well with what you had, young padawan. Question: is #3 on auto settings?

four still needs the tripod and four is a snapshot

you really need a tri pod (just some more reinforcement lol)

do you mind proof reading your posts before hitting "submit?"

go back and shoot #4 with a tripod.

Most reactions

Back