Hi from Wisconsin...and it's cold here!

hiwaykind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy all!
I discovered this site when in a burst of frustration I googled "fuji finepix s7000" because I just got the camera and thought that I was gonna be a sports photography pro at my daughter's basketball games... until I actually looked at all the pictures I had taken. :grumpy: Aaargh. So I'm hoping to learn more about shooting indoor sporting events, especially the whole shutter speed-aperature thing. Anyone with the same camera who would be willing to give a little advice would earn a permanent place in my heart and on my Christmas card list :lovey: .
BTW, this is an awesome site! I look forward to yakking it up with you all and sharing, learning, and whatnot.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Shooting indoor sports is one of the tougher scenarios to shoot...and unfortunately, most digicams aren't up to the task.

The problem is that the light level is pretty low...even if it doesn't look that way with our eyes. You probably want a fast shutter speed to stop the action, right? When the light level is low, the camera needs more time (longer shutter speed) to make the exposure. The aperture of the lens plays a factor...the bigger the aperture, the faster the shutter speed can be...however, once the aperture is at it's biggest (low number)...then the shutter has to stay open longer...which means that you can't freeze the action.

There is a third variable...the ISO setting. The higher the ISO, the faster your shutter speed can be...but there is a trade off...digital noise. To see what I mean, crank your ISO up a high as it will go (400,800 or more) and take some shots (no flash).
It will be up to you to decide how much noise you can accept in your photos.

Another option is to use flash...but that may not be allowed...and/or your flash will not be powerful enough.

Practice will help, you may have to get shots where the action is at a slow point...rather than when your daughter is running up the court.

What pro sports shooters do...is to use fast lenses (big maximum aperture)...but you camera's lens is built in...so that's not any help.

Hello fellow Wisconsinite! What part of the state are you from?

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum!!!! Looking forward to seeing some of your indoor sports shots!!

I'm from Merrill, up north. And you?

I've been through Merrill many times. I am in Peshtigo now but grew up around Colby, roughly a half hour west of Wausau. We drive through Merrill once in awhile if we take that route back home to my parents place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back