High Contrast B&W Self Portrait

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's been a while since I've posted an SP. Have at it.

i-vjnXvVv-XL.jpg

Going slightly beyond my usual no-nonsense edits.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed. Critique appreciated.

I dig it. A lot.

Good work.

How is this "high contrast" ? I see a lot of midtones in the photo; your forehead for example. I'm not seeing too many bright whites and dark darks.

Pretty good. Looks very 'thematic'. Looks like it's a CD cover portrait of some musician or a really edgy, fringe poet...you know, like you're a real 'character'. One of my favorites of you. Instant classic.

How is this "high contrast" ? I see a lot of midtones in the photo; your forehead for example. I'm not seeing too many bright whites and dark darks.
I had the same thoughts. This seems to be pretty low contrast...Pretty much dominated by midtones.

I had the same thoughts. This seems to be pretty low contrast...Pretty much dominated by midtones.

It is a high-contrast image, it's just not a lithograph or some other type of image which has only blacks and whites - certainly has a lot of character.

Do you get people calling you "Charlie" (Manson)? I haven't had my hair that long for many years, but a little while ago I let my beard get really long and some people called me that, and some others made references to ZZ Top.

can someone pass me the salt and peppa?

Robinson Crusoe kundz! Interesting by covering the left eye, the centeredness of your face shifts to thirds. I enjoy this technique alot.

Permission to edit this when I get home?

Very nice composition - way to fill the frame! Nice job faking a rule-of-thirds effect on a centered face (as pointed out by camz). I hadn't consciously noticed that until it was pointed out, though I did viscerally react to it.

I do however agree that I think this shot would benefit from minor level adjustments to increase the tonal range. If you make the whites juuust a bit brighter and the blacks juuust a bit darker you will still get a realistic (not fake/overly contrasty) image. This separation will increase the contrast in your hair, emphasizing the great texture it has. It will also make the white of your eye that much closer to the white which a viewer expects. Since that is about the largest single area of "color" (your skin and hair being broken up by texture), as well as a natural focal point for a viewer, the viewer is drawn there, so it's important that it is properly bright. Just my opinion, though.

Lots of good feedback. I was listening to Leon Russell while I was shooting this sequence, "Leon Live" ro be exact, and that was the inspiration. Nothing wrong with a little gospel inspired rock and blues on a Sunday morning. I'll have a go at another edit. I'll never have his beard (Leon Russell), but in the not to distant future, the white hair is sure to pass.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back