High ISO images

jrice12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this shot of a toad this past weekend. I was more or less happy with composition, DOF, focus point etc. However, it was in the deep shadows and I had to bump the ISO up to 1600 to get a reasonable shutter speed (1/50 sed at f2.8). The result has grain as expected. Post processing I found I had to change the gamma curve for the green channel to favor the bright end while the other channels were fairly flat (must be an effect of the camera at higher ISO?). The question is: In your opinion, does the grain of higher ISO harm this image? Or, since I don't have one of the same subject at lower ISO, in general - should I say away from high ISO when lighting is low or go with flash? I would be interested in seeing other macros that were done with high ISO (i.e. with grain) - if you have any please attach to response.

6071373205_3a0dbf0f82_b.jpg

I haven't tried to do any digital macro at high ISO, but I used to shoot a lot of high-speed film and would occasionally blow up a shot to the point where it started to fall apart. Sometimes it becomes interesting and maybe even abstract. This guy might be interesting to play around with (with electronics, that is). Try using some of the effects filters in PS or whatever software you use - things like film grain, dry brush, posterize, etc. Good focus, btw.

I don't go that high in ISO but do normally use ISO 400. I recommend taking a look at Topaz Denoise. May help reduce the noise evident in your image.

I find generally if you push you cameras ISO to far then the colours do start to shift out. In answer to your question - I think you would be better off with a lower ISO image. Possibly some fill flash may of been helpful - or if the chappie was sitting realy still then a tripod/support may of worked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back