High resolution negatives scanner

The highest dynamic range available on the scanners in my B&H catalog seems to be 4.8. The resolutions very, but that doesn't make much of a difference when scanning 35mm. There is only so much detail you can pull out of a small negative.

As if it's a surprise I'm going to recommend the Minolta Scan Dual IV. I have the III. For less than $300 it's got a 4.8 dynamic range and 3200 dpi. No scanner in it's class can touch it.

Just a thought.... what sort of quality are you expecting to get?
You arent going to get great prints much bigger than A3 when using 35mm film, the negative just wont have recorded enough information.

Solarize said:
Just a thought.... what sort of quality are you expecting to get?
You arent going to get great prints much bigger than A3 when using 35mm film, the negative just wont have recorded enough information.

Well, that really depends on how the print will be displayed.

For example Rick Sammons claims that one of his images taken from a 35mm negative was blown up to "30x60 feet for the Kodak Colorama in New York's Times Square."

A large print may not be tack sharp hand-held, but from 8 feet away hanging on a wall, it may well be plenty sharp, if the original image was sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back