High Speed Sync problem--

jpharbour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a question about high sync speed please. I've watched many video but I am misunderstanding something basic I guess. I have a canon 6D with a 600ex ii-rt. When I take a portrait at f4 and 1/200, the model is lit nicely, but the background is too bright. I want to darken the background, but as soon as i go into high speed sync, everything is darker, not just the background (say a 1/500 holding at f4). I thought the f stop regulated the light from the flash and that would keep the subject lit properly, while the shutter speed regulates the ambient light for the background. Why am I losing light to the subject in high sync flash? I am on manual mode. The 600 ex ii-rt does show high speed sync as does the camera. Thanks

My understanding is that both aperture and shutter control all the light from the scene.
So if you want brighter subject you would need to crank up the flash power - maybe you can try adding flash exposure compensation. As the light from the flash should affect the closer objects more (square law).

High Speed Sync flash wastes a lot of flash power so much so I wouldn't not use it.

Most reactions

Back