High speed sync without using cls?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking to upgrade to a different body( either the d90 or d7000 since both have what I want) and I read on a few different sites that you need to use the cls feature to use high speed sync. They also said you would have to use flashes that work with the system. Is this true? I kind of liked using the flash in manual with a set of radio triggers especially for range. They mentioned the use of non ttl triggers would only allow the max sync speed of 1/250 before the banding occurred.

I've shot up to 1/2000 (I think) with my D90 and gotten full-frame iamges with no curtain visible. I don't remember the exact speed since it's been a while and I just wanted to try it our, but I'm pretty sure that's right. According to the manual it will allow sync speeds up to 1/4000 second but I couldn't get that high.

What is necessary to be enabled is not CLS, that is Nikon's Creative Lighting System and is always enabled, but "Auto FP". According to the manual Auto-FP will only work properly with flashes that support CLS however.

Here is a good article on it

I've shot up to 1/2000 (I think) with my D90 and gotten full-frame iamges with no curtain visible. I don't remember the exact speed since it's been a while and I just wanted to try it our, but I'm pretty sure that's right. According to the manual it will allow sync speeds up to 1/4000 second but I couldn't get that high.What is necessary to be enabled is not CLS, that is Nikon's Creative Lighting System and is always enabled, but "Auto FP". According to the manual Auto-FP will only work properly with flashes that support CLS however.Here is a good article on it
Thanks for the correction and link. If I may ask,What kind of wireless set up did you use?

Anyone else ? If you enable a-FP, you can use non ttl triggers and manual flashes ?

Thanks for the correction and link. If I may ask,What kind of wireless set up did you use?
I didn't use wireless. It was just an on-camera test to see what kind of high speed shutter response I could reliably get with Auto-FP enabled. I have shot wireless using Commander mode on my D90 and slave mode on my SB-600 and SB-700 up to about 1/500 with no problems though.

The inexpensive manual-only wireless triggers probably won't work well with high speed. I have a set of Cactus 40 triggers and I think they are limited to 1/60 second. As was mentioned above the Pocket Wizards will do high speed flash and I suspect that most of the other high-quality triggers will as well.

I might have to rent one and try. I have a set of triggers that goUp to 1/1000s. Thanks for the information.
I didn't use wireless. It was just an on-camera test to see what kind of high speed shutter response I could reliably get with Auto-FP enabled. I have shot wireless using Commander mode on my D90 and slave mode on my SB-600 and SB-700 up to about 1/500 with no problems though.The inexpensive manual-only wireless triggers probably won't work well with high speed. I have a set of Cactus 40 triggers and I think they are limited to 1/60 second. As was mentioned above the Pocket Wizards will do high speed flash and I suspect that most of the other high-quality triggers will as well.

I might have to rent one and try. I have a set of triggers that goUp to 1/1000s. Thanks for the information.
Stop by here and you can try it for nothing:lmao:
Lol ! Thanks for your help. I have a friend with a d7000. I have to link up with him and try it. I'm sure if it works on the 7000, it will on the d90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back