Hillary Clinton Rally - Harrisburg, PA (image heavy)

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

Went to a Clinton rally last week. Just thought I'd share some photos. Photos from a Canon S95 point and shoot in less than ideal lighting conditions. Some are heavily cropped, so apologies for that.

If you want to provide feedback or comments on the photos, that'd be great. No politics, please.

1. End of the line that we could see. There were over a thousand Hillary supporters, with a line that extended at least a quarter of a mile. These people would not have made it inside the rally, but likely stood just outside the fence to hear her speak on loudspeakers.

End of the line
by Wade, on Flickr

2. Lots of official, and unofficial, merchandise.

Hillary-25
by Wade, on Flickr

3. There was a designated area for protesters. Not too many showed up. There were more when the rally ended. There's some wicked CA around that pink sign.

Protestors
by Wade, on Flickr

4. Three speakers came up before Hillary arrived. Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf speaking. This should probably be a much tighter crop.

Hillary-15
by Wade, on Flickr

5. Lots of people showed up, young and old.

Hillary-14
by Wade, on Flickr

6. Everyone wanted to get a shot. It was almost impossible to see what was going on when anyone first took the stage due to the number of cell phones and arms that would fling into the air.

Hillary-11
by Wade, on Flickr

7. Higher perspective.

Hillary-7
by Wade, on Flickr

8. Tim Kaine did his Trump impression, the same one from the DNC.

Hillary-9
by Wade, on Flickr

9. After Hillary spoke, the rally ended quickly.

Hillary-4
by Wade, on Flickr

10. The Broad Street Market was happy to get free advertising.

Hillary-2
by Wade, on Flickr

Impressive! I have never done any kind of rally or large event photography, and tip my hat to anyone who gives it a go.

You did a good job getting above the crowd in several of these. I like the one with everyone holding their cell phones up high, that captures the excitement of the crowd. The one of the little girl holding up the flag is very nice. Both B&Ws are also standouts for me.

Nice work!

One of the neat things about events is that people want to be photographed and they don't mind if you get in their face.

If you get another chance at this, I suggest you look for iconic photos that have a point rather than just backs of heads and speaker faces.

For example, this one in color, cropped to illustrate how different people see the event. Not a huge deal, but a picture that makes a point tangential to the actual content.

upload_2016-8-5_13-57-39.png

Impressive! I have never done any kind of rally or large event photography, and tip my hat to anyone who gives it a go.

You did a good job getting above the crowd in several of these. I like the one with everyone holding their cell phones up high, that captures the excitement of the crowd. The one of the little girl holding up the flag is very nice. Both B&Ws are also standouts for me.

Nice work!
Thanks! It was fun, and I'd definitely do it again!

One of the neat things about events is that people want to be photographed and they don't mind if you get in their face.

If you get another chance at this, I suggest you look for iconic photos that have a point rather than just backs of heads and speaker faces.

For example, this one in color, cropped to illustrate how different people see the event. Not a huge deal, but a picture that makes a point tangential to the actual content.

Thank you, Lew! It is true, people didn't seem to mind or care about cameras.

I really wanted to walk around, but it was pretty tight there, and I was with my wife. It would have been difficult walking around without ruining the experience. But, now that I got one event behind me, I'd definitely love to do it again from a photojournalism-type perspective.

I like your crop better. The reason I originally went with the landscape crop was I liked the "Stronger Together" contrasting the people below and the guy in the window.

What are your thoughts on this?

Apart
by Wade, on Flickr

I would possibly go even further, darkening, lowwering contrast on everthing but man in the window and camera phone.
Make it clear what you want people to look at and let the viewers make somesignificant out of it.

The picture can be a mystery, as long as it interests and grabs the viewer.

upload_2016-8-6_11-5-13.png

image.jpeg
I like your original thought of the contrast between the crowd and the lone watcher in the window. But. I barely noticed the watcher the first time I looked. Maybe crop some off the top and the right side and highlight him a bit in post. On my phone so here's a rough example

Last edited:
I would possibly go even further, darkening, lowwering contrast on everthing but man in the window and camera phone.
Make it clear what you want people to look at and let the viewers make somesignificant out of it.

The picture can be a mystery, as long as it interests and grabs the viewer.
Thanks! I like the idea of focusing attention on the window and phone. .. I'll have to work on this tonight.

I like your original thought of the contrast between the crowd and the lone watcher in the window. But. I barely noticed the watcher the first time I looked. Maybe crop some off the top and the right side and highlight him a bit in post. On my phone so here's a rough example
Thank you! I'll look into crops tonight!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back