Dallmeyer care to expand upon that? I've never heard before on being able to judge sharpnes of focus from the histogram at all so I would be very interested to hear how you are approaching this.
Also as for histograms I tend to use mine to judge a few basic points:
1) Over and under exposure - critcal things in a shot as they can't be fixed at all in editing. I use this all the time (mostly to check overexposure) as on the camera LCD its far more reliable than the preview image and on most DSLRs the overexposed areas of the shot will blink to show you where they are. If its a little speck here and there I don't care, if its far larger and more distracting its time to adjust settings and reshoot (if you have the chance to).
2) Get a general idea of the distribution of the light - idealy I want the main body of the histogram as far over on the right side of the histogram as I can, without clipping/overexposing the highlights (ie hitting the far right hand side). This means that in editing I have as much data as possible to work with as whilst you can tone down bright areas without problem, you can't brighten darker areas without introducing noise.
Often you will find that you can't follow this rule perfectly and its one of those give/take situations.
3) Set the histogram to show RBG colour channels (in camera again) to show if you are clipping a colour or not. Its possible to not overexpose a shot on brightness, but to clip a colour channel, which will have a similar debilitating effect on the end quality of the shot - flowers (esp yellow and red) are a good example of when you can clip the colour channel.
4) In editing in the computer I tend to only keep an eye on the highlights area, again watching for overexposure and making sure that (when processing the RAW) I am not overexposing areas though my adjustments. Sometimes this means I have to process the RAW twice and merge the results so that I can get overly dark or bright areas to mix together and show details.
I don't tend to try for any specific shape with the overall body of the histogram - a low/flat histogram will show an image with lower contrast, but I can fix this in editing. Otherwise its keep the brightness and colour channels from clipping/overexposing and trying to get as much on the right as possible. Otherwise the shape of the histogram can be whatever it wants and each shot I have taken tends to have its own unique shape to it.