After some time looking at prices for various photographic gear, I tend to us
B&H as the yardstick for comparing prices. If other prices are too high or too low, I tend to ignore them. I bought my two bodies from a local *hangs head slightly* Wolf/Ritz camera shop. All my other gear has been through
B&H or
Adorama, with one exception.
B&H has the
D80 (body only) for $599. I also tend to stay clear of Best Buy or any other Big Box store, but that's just me.
The folks at Wolf/Ritz were very helpful and spent a great deal of time with me during my decision making process, which was a long and arduous. I also liked the idea of developing a relationship with a local shop. They were within a margin of acceptability of price that I felt comfortable with.
If you want a zoom lens, mine came with an 18-55mm kit lens, which is perfectly acceptable, but if you want to get blown away, try out a 24-70mm f/2.8. Only problem....... it's about three times the cost of the D80 body.

My understanding is that the 18-135mm kit lens is pretty good also. But none of these lenses with a minimum aperture of ~f/3.5 will perform any magic with low light situations.
Just my 2¢.