Hopper

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking a walk in the rain the other day and came across this scene. It reminded me very much of an Edward Hopper work, Nighthawks; the loneliness of the street and the relativity of the objects to the scene as a whole struck me as very realistic and true to life - which was something Hopper was a master of showing. Feedback is appreciated!

Day 22: January 23, 2013 by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

I personally love the look of a wet street. I love in movies when they use the technique. I do like the flares from the street lights, and how you can see the cone of light cascading to the street. There is a small amount of tilt to the photo...or my eyes are playing tricks. Good shot though. Sometimes smaller versions of photos just don't do them justice. I can see how this would jump out at me if it were full size on my screen. Good work.

Hopper did Nighthawks in the early 40's, 1942 I think. It does have a Hopperish feel to it in a similar manner as you would find with a movie by Dashiell Hammett like the Maltese Falcon, shot a year earlier than Hopper's, Nighthawks. John Houston, the director was a fine art painter before becoming a film director. The more you look at similarities, the more everything starts to make sense. Connections. It's all about connections and you've made a good one.

I was hoping to achieve that New York City film-noir look as well, the wet street was perfect. Thank you for your replies!

Most reactions

Back