Hotel room shooting

Is the owner or manager going to follow you around? If not, don't sweat it. Just relax and do your thing.

I have done some real estate shots and I used my camera and external flash. By using my settings on the camera I was able to produce some very good photos. I even used my kit lens.

Look for the best angle that makes the room the most appealing.

I watch a modeling reality show a few years ago and one of the photographer uses a point and shoot. His photos were as good or even better than some.

Good luck:)

More and more time I spend on this site, seems like the same people are trying to talk everyone out of being a working photographer. Maybe they assume they can get the jobs you turn down. Don't worry about what everyone here says, if you asking for help and they're not giving it, then keep on reading. Everyone has to start somewhere. You're honest with us so I'll assume your honest with the client, good that's out of the way.

I've recently started with Real Estate photography and tirediron was dead on explaining the multiple lighting sources you will have to deal with. You haven't shared if you have speedlights or other to work with, if so you will definitely want to order some gels. They're pretty cheap on Amazon, ~$10.
If you don't, you will want to be in the room at the ideal time of day where the sun illuminates the room at its best. This will probably be in the morning before the sun is over head. You can probably use the sheer curtains as a diffuser to soften the light. I use an UWA and use lens correction in Lightroom. But I would recon an 18mm kit lens would be suitable considering the current point and shoot work the client has.

Edit:: you may also want to try HDR photography. It really isn't too difficult but you'll need some software to process it if you don't already (Photoshop has it built in, there are some others that are free or have free trials)

Best of luck shooting and hopefully you will come back and share pics.

Last edited:
More and more time I spend on this site, seems like the same people are trying to talk everyone out of being a working photographer. Maybe they assume they can get the jobs you turn down. Don't worry about what everyone here says, if you asking for help and they're not giving it, then keep on reading. Everyone has to start somewhere. You're honest with us so I'll assume your honest with the client, good that's out of the way.

I've recently started with Real Estate photography and tirediron was dead on explaining the multiple lighting sources you will have to deal with. You haven't shared if you have speedlights or other to work with, if so you will definitely want to order some gels. They're pretty cheap on Amazon, ~$10.
If you don't, you will want to be in the room at the ideal time of day where the sun illuminates the room at its best. This will probably be in the morning before the sun is over head. You can probably use the sheer curtains as a diffuser to soften the light. I use an UWA and use lens correction in Lightroom. But I would recon an 18mm kit lens would be suitable considering the current point and shoot work the client has.

Edit:: you may also want to try HDR photography. It really isn't too difficult but you'll need some software to process it if you don't already (Photoshop has it built in, there are some others that are free or have free trials)

Best of luck shooting and hopefully you will come back and share pics.

I'm pretty sure HDR is out of the question if a hotel is trying to show what their rooms really look like. It isn't that people on this forum are always trying to talk others out of becoming professionals, it's that if someone is considering it, they should be told how difficult it is, candy coating it doesn't help anyone.

I'm pretty sure HDR is out of the question if a hotel is trying to show what their rooms really look like. It isn't that people on this forum are always trying to talk others out of becoming professionals, it's that if someone is considering it, they should be told how difficult it is, candy coating it doesn't help anyone.

Yeah Trey Ratcliff type HDR should avoided, but subtle natural looking HDR is quite appropriate in this situation and may prove invaluable if off camera lighting is not an option.

Photographers shouldn't work for free and if they come to an online community for support, that's what should be given. Funny how people chose which part of the OP to focus in on (the logistics) and skip over the main part (the request for assistance). Seems like people would be better suited if they asked generic questions like "how would you shoot a hotel room with X gear" because if they put "how would you shoot a hotel room with X gear for a client" its likely the responses will not address their question.

Yeah Trey Ratcliff type HDR should avoided, but subtle natural looking HDR is quite appropriate in this situation and may prove invaluable if off camera lighting is not an option.

Photographers shouldn't work for free and if they come to an online community for support, that's what should be given. Funny how people chose which part of the OP to focus in on (the logistics) and skip over the main part (the request for assistance). Seems like people would be better suited if they asked generic questions like "how would you shoot a hotel room with X gear" because if they put "how would you shoot a hotel room with X gear for a client" its likely the responses will not address their question.

My first response to the question said how I would shoot it. It was a simple answer to a simple question.

Most reactions

Back