How can I... merge 2 pics, but not HDR

JDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First, the pictures. Exact same shot, just one in the dark, and one with the flash.

Dark:
238650641_51c0bf0764_o.jpg

Light:
238650780_def7f48e4c_o.jpg

I've been trying to merge them together to make something interesting. I've tried painting in the pipes, the beams, you know it and I've probably tried it. But it doesn't look right, or ends up looking unreal - just curious as to if anyone had any more ideas for me to try.

No idea if this would work, but you could try pasting them on top of each other in PhotoShop and setting the layer mode to "Screen."

astrostu said:
No idea if this would work, but you could try pasting them on top of each other in PhotoShop and setting the layer mode to "Screen."

... and play around with the opacity

I have played with opacity, but I havent tried screening it, I was painting them together - let me try that

238674995_7182c23e56_o.jpg

Here is how I did it.

Open the two images

Select the bright Image

Select all- Copy-Close image

Select the dark image and paste (this will paste the bright image in as a top layer)

With the top layer selected hit CTRL+ALT+Tilde (Tilde is the key just under ESC)

This will select the %50 brightest pixels in the layer

Hit the washing machine symbol in the layers pallet (Add layer mask)

Change the opacity as desired ( I set it to %60)

Done

you could try a luminosity mask..... mohain dug up a site with a decent tutorial a while back..... its HERE

..... Other than that there are several other things you could try...you could play with just using a layer mask on the flash image.... lowering opacity and using a soft brush at around 30%, brushing parts of it back in.

..... oh, that was quick.... yea remi's way is easy and is effective too :thumbup:

Holy crap Remi, excellent PS skills my man hehe. That's way better then I've managed to do (Looks a lot more realistic). Now I can use that and incorporate it into what I'm working on now - sweet!

Awesome idea Arch and a great link. I've got a lot more to play with now - sorta 'woke me up' to the idea of working on this again :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back