How can I stablilze a shaky timelapse?

Detlef Schuusch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a timelapse during a boat ride on the Huangpu river when I visited Shanghai earlier this year. When I had put it together on my computer I noticed that some parts seem "shaky" because the boat was moving up and down from the waves. I've tried stabilizing the video with Premiere Pro's Warp Stabilizer but that didnt have the effect I wanted. The problem is, that there isnt any reference point visible throughout the the video that one could use to align the images. I'd like the video to be smooth without the "bumps" and still keep the framerate at 25fps. Do you know of anything I could do stabilize the video?

Here is a preview of the video (sorry for the bad quality but rendering at full resolution would have taken years):

Thank you

The first problem is that only you know the effect that you wanted. The second problem is that I have never used Premiere Pro, and so I have no experience with your software. All I can say is that the best stabilizing software I have used is in Magix Movie Edit Pro, but I cannot say whether it would be better or worse than what you have now. I can say that personally, I think your camera frame rate was slower than I would have liked, but it is too late to change that. If you can "afford" to try it, you could upload it to "YouTube" and try their stabilizer tool. The problem is that it only helps if your goal is to view the result on YouTube. As far as I know, the only "take home" version of your own video that you can download is a 720p version of the result.

Or, of course, you can try to "hand tune" each frame yourself. . . .

Last edited:
The warp stabilizer in Premiere Pro can only do so much. This would be a tough one to stabilize. You want to ask over at the Timelapse network.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back