How close and what lens for street portraits

I'm shooting with a 30-70mm but feel I need to be in a littel tighter but I don't want to spook them out?

next time you post images please post them all in one post.

you need to work on not centering your subject so much. if you put his head (number 3, for instance) higher in the frame and put him on the left or right side of the frame, it would have seemed to fill the picture more...also, he will seem more like he's a part of his environment, not just slapped there.

as for the lens issue...it's very good training to get a wide angle lens and get REAL close to the subject - almost so that it fills half the frame. you will most likely need to ask permission before doing this. this will train you to be comfortable taking pictures of strangers, and can lead to more intimate captures also. if you don't want to do that, you could always get a longer lens (anything above 85mm).

Noted on the posting.

Getting close, the two fishing guys no problem. The one on the left wanted to and did tell me his life story, I engaged with him and stopped taking pics!!!

The guy in the 3rd pic wasn't so friendly but I thought the light was good and his beard was cool

The crop is better I definately agree on the centering issue the biggest mistake to make in any portrait is the "bullseye" look try to keep the subject out of the center. I think a bigger issue you have is lighting, high noon or early afternoon light like you have here is not very flattering for any subject too harsh too contrasty. Try later in the afternoon the "magic hour" the time depends on the time of year but a couple hours before sunset or just after sunrise and your pics will look better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back