How do you use a film SLR on manual settings?

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've always wondered, with a digital camera you have the LCD screen giving you an estimate of the picture, but with a film SLR on full manual settings, how do you know what to use, especially for different terrain and weather conditions?

Is there such thing as a machine that gives you approximate settings, or is it something you just need to learn by heart?

You can pick up a light meter to give you estimates for what settings you should use or you can just keep a notebook handy and try different settings in different lights to see what you come up with. In time, you'll have it down by heart.

The machine you ask about is = Any good film SLR will have a light meter that tells you if you are good to go in manual mode. If it is not good to go then you need to change speed or aperature until it is. It is pretty much fool proof.
If it does not have a light meter in manual mode then I say trade it in for one that does. There is no excuse not to. (I know of one that did not)
The idea is that you control which combination will be used instead of the camera. Sometimes used to compensate for known metering "situations" and other stuff. Or for camera operation if the battery goes dead.
Estimates you ask about = the -exposure chart inside surface of the film box - it is good for estimating in the case of batteries being dead as is the - sunny 16 rule - which is the memorized rule you asked about..
I LOVE manual 35mm film SLR's more than any other kind. My first choice if I could only have one camera.

Although a hand-held lightmeter is never a bad idea, especially if you want to use incidental metering.

Most reactions

Back