How many polarisers do I need?

in2thewild

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I have a circular polarizer for my 18-55 mm lens, but I think I can't use it on my 16-35 mm or 24-70 mm lens. Do people normally buy a polariser or ND filter for each lens or just one? Is there a way around buying multiple?

Many thanks

You can do that or get a Lee filter system. Cokin has some affordable setups also, but they are not Lee quality.

buy the largest size you need, use a step-down ring for the others.

or dont use a filter. :)

Square drop in filters that go into a filter holder on the front of the lens is the more affordable way to get filters so that your filters will all fit multiple lenses. You just get the largest filters for the size of lens you have and the required filter holder and then buy the filters you want; the holder will then slot onto the front of your lenses and since your filters are all based off the widest angle lens you have they will all cover the angle of view for all the other lenses you have.

Downsides are that these kinds of filter can't use a lens hood; although there are hoods for filter holders so you're not totally without. It can also be expensive; Lee Filters are one of the best but are expensive and understocked everywhere - so ordering often means getting on a waiting list at a few stores and then seeing hwich one gets it in stock first. Cokin are more affordable, but not as high quality although ag ood few people use the Cokin filter holders with Lee filters.

The other bonus is that things like ND and ND grad can be moved up and down in the holder; so the filter can apply to only part of your photo and for graduated the point of graduation change can vary up or down the frame - this really frees you up compositionally.

It's not cheap; but a quality filter set and holders is the kind of thing that, like your tripod, can last you a near lifetime.

Do Lee or Cokin make a square circular polariser? Can't see how they would work.

The entire filter holder rotates.

Must we endure this on every post of yours?

As much as you endure my legion of links in my signature too ;)

John you can put links into your signature if you edit your profile - much easier than having to paste in the link yourself into every post :)

I've got two to fit a couple of different sizes of filter threads rather than one per lens. There are also adapters that can fit a cpl on the outside of a square filter holder, I'm planning on picking up a 105mm cpl just for that purpose at some point

Last edited:
Do what WeePete suggested. Buy yourself the best largest diameter CPL you can afford and then for a very few dollars you buy the adapter rings that neck down to the smaller lens. No degradation and no big hassles.

buy the largest size you need, use a step-down ring for the others.
:)

That does the trick for me - except I think it's a step UP ring when the filter size is bigger than the lenses filter threads. I do have a few lenses that can use a step down ring without vignetting even going as far as 37-25 without issue on one.

Even so I like to have several polarisers, so I can still use a lens hood, avoid excessive amounts of stepping rings & combine 2 filters (Circular & linear) for a variable ND.

Thanks everyone. Once again my question is answered :). That sounds better than buying lots of polarisers (expensive).

John - whilst this is going off topic and might be easier to talk in private about - I should say that there is nothing listed in your signature at all. However are you surfing the site using a mobile app? It could be that you've used the applications "signature" function instead of the forums own signature function which is leading to this confusion.

If you look at my profile or Sparky's you can see that there is a line of dots under the post content which then has data underneath it - that is the signature. It is generally considered polite to put some repeat information in the signature as it is something most forum software allows users to remove from view if they so choose.

Most reactions

Back