How should I have handled this?

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The challenge is to take a pic of a decrepit fence. I had this opportunity but there was a hot spot in the centre so I cut the exposure 2/3 stop. Tis still pretty hot!

fence2-2.jpg

I would have gone up to the fence and spot metered it. It would underexpose the rest of the picture, but it would have worked because it would give it a natural vingette. Or go back a different time of day.

The composition is lacking though. You might try getting right up to the fence and putting the camera nearly on the fence to get perspective and depth.

Also could use some PP work.

I would have gone up to the fence and spot metered it. That I would have done with a film camera & my light meter but I do not know how it would be accomplised with the digi. It would underexpose the rest of the picture, but it would have worked because it would give it a natural vingette. Or go back a different time of day. I will try morning light tomorrow.

The composition is lacking though. You might try getting right up to the fence and putting the camera nearly on the fence to get perspective and depth. As it was, I was shouldering out some brush but I get your point.

Also could use some PP work.

Thanks for the pointers.

Consider the angle and framing of the shot as well. Even in morning light I get the feeling the first thing that will grab attention in this frame is the tree.

That second one is better. The colours are much richer, and the lighting is more dramatic. The others just look flat.

The composition is better, too. All of the busyness is held back by the fence, so it isn't so dominant within the frame. This way, it looks like a real struggle for that fence to keep it all back; it's at breaking point.

The second one is much better. I really like the leaning of the fence. I first thought you had tilted the camera to give it that feeling but then I saw that the trees were in line - which is another good point, I was drawn to the fence first and then I forced myself to notice the trees. I think I would use a more shallow DOF next time to isolate the fence.

Most reactions

Back