How to edit or manipulate this photo?

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to Stage 5 of the Tour of Missouri race and while firing off shots like crazy I captured this one of the Tour de France winner handing his bottle off to a clueless boy on the sidelines. I think he is exposed correctly, but the background is washed out. Everything was happening so fast I really didn't have time to frame & make adjustments so this is as good as I got.

I have the image in RAW (NEF) and I've tried adjusting everything to level this photo out more so the background isn't so distracting but it just didn't quite work as much as I hoped. I finally wound up using a little bit of Photomatix, converting to B&W and then cropping which seemed to help. Is this all I can do?

DSC_3888-1.jpg

DSC_3888.jpg

Shooting in the shade against the sun in an area where the white balance of the subject is different from the white balance of the background lighting.

Black and white was the sensible way to go. I doubt it could be any better given the direction and lighting.

I agree with Garbz. I think the black and white one looks the best and you wont really be able to do anything else with this photo given the blownout sky.

Thanks for the comments. The photo isn't that good, but I'm still excited to have gotten a photo of Alberto. As aways, wishing it could have been better...

Edit in colour. Select the cyclist, choose INVERT for the background, adjust the exposure, and then do the colour correction. With the sky, create or use a graduated blue filter. The result will be a much better colour photo.

skieur

Edit in colour. Select the cyclist, choose INVERT for the background, adjust the exposure, and then do the colour correction. With the sky, create or use a graduated blue filter. The result will be a much better colour photo.

skieur

:thumbup: good advice

Have you tried exporting one image color corrected for the background and a separate one for the rider both from the raw and then combining the two images? (in addition to the sky trick above)

I haven't tried separating the two parts of the photo. Haven't been very good at selecting in the past, but I'll give it a try.

Not sure I understand your direction skieur, but hopefully when I start playing around with it I'll pick up on it.

I haven't tried separating the two parts of the photo. Haven't been very good at selecting in the past, but I'll give it a try.

Not sure I understand your direction skieur, but hopefully when I start playing around with it I'll pick up on it.

When you select the cyclist, there is a choice in the selection menu called INVERT, which changes your selection from the cyclist to the background.

Hope this makes it clearer.

skieur

When you select the cyclist, there is a choice in the selection menu called INVERT, which changes your selection from the cyclist to the background.

Hope this makes it clearer.

skieur

Ive done this before too. It works good if you make a good selection, and if you have enough color information in the sky. Its actually Select > Inverse on the photoshop menu bar.

Ive done this before too. It works good if you make a good selection, and if you have enough color information in the sky. Its actually Select > Inverse on the photoshop menu bar.

If you have enough colour information in the sky then a software polarizer, skylight filter, or graduated ND filter works. If you don't, then a graduated blue filter works or replacing the sky from another shot.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back