How to get rid of this blemish on my photos?

MarkCSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, figured it was the closest match. I keep getting this blemish on my photos, it seems to come and go randomly (unless it's there in all my photos and just camoflaged by shadow)

blemish.jpg

I've tried cleaning the inside of the camera with an air duster as well as both sides of the lense (and inbetween the lense and filter)

I don't understand why this little speckle of rubber or whatever it is won't go away :x Am I doing something wrong with my cleaning method? :confused:

I've tried cleaning the inside of the camera with an air duster.

Am I doing something wrong with my cleaning method?

Yes. Using air to blow into your camera, will just tend to move stuff around, not to mention that things like canned air can actually make things dirtier with condensation or propellant.

It's likely something that is stuck on your camera's sensor. Cleaning the sensor in a DSLR is just routine maintenance. You camera has a cleaning mode that holds the mirror up and keeps the shutter open. Don't use air...at least not compressed air. You could try an air puffer bulb, the 'Rocket' ones are best.
If that won't get it, then you could try a sensor brush.
The next step is a wet cleaning which is done with swabs/pads and cleaning fluid.

Search the forum (or Google) for sensor cleaning techniques.

what ive did in the past is hold my camera facedown on a tripod.
open the shutter.
blowing air on the sensor using a large matress pump.

worked perfectly for me.

Thanks fellas, I never realized there was a cleaning mode, maybe I should flip through the manual one of these days :lol: Appreciate the advice!

I thought I would just suggest you look for a camera shop around you that has trained personnel who clean your camera body for a small fee.

I thought I would just suggest you look for a camera shop around you that has trained personnel who clean your camera body for a small fee.

That would be an option too, but it's something I think I'd rather learn to do myself. Bad idea?

I couldn't answer that.
I'm not sure what the likelihood is of you doing something to cause damage to the sensor, or creating more mess then you're fixing.

Yes, learn to do it yourself. Or ask a friendly local shop to charge you to do it, and offer to pay a little extra to watch them. This is an option especially if you have done some shopping in their store.

Keep in mind that the camera's sensor is actually under a filter (probably glass). So all you are doing is cleaning a tiny window. I can't imagine that you want to pay someone to clean your tiny window. :er:

Of course, there are some delicate parts in there, like the shutter and the mirror, but the cleaning mode holds those out of the way...so as long as your battery is charged up, you shouldn't have to worry about them.

The key to properly cleaning the sensor, is making sure that you don't make it any dirtier in the process. For example, the typical procedure for a wet cleaning is to use a sterile pad with a drop of Eclipse cleaning fluid on it. You make one pass, flip it over and make more more pass...that's it.

That's one reason why using high pressure air is a bad idea...it's likely to stir up more dust than it removes.

By the way, to really see how much dust & crap is on your sensor...set the aperture to F22 and take a shot against a clear flat surface like a wall.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back