How to shoot interview video with two cameras and two mics.?

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I am Udhaya from India.

One of my friends approached me to make an interview video on a political topic. This is the first time I am planning for a video work. Here are the points I have decided to work with:

1. Two cameras - 5D mark iv for interviewee and Nikon D3200 for anchor
2. Two microphones - One for each
3. Two umbrellas / soft boxes

Now, because this is first time, I have few points in mind:

1. A decent video is enough - Not a comparable one with TV channels
2. Not much of Post Production (PP) to be done - Would like to go for automatic / default settings of the gears to start with
3. Should be an economical production

I would like you to recommend me the following:
1. What microphones should I go for - Should cut hissing noise. Should automatically adjust volume input output levels. Should come with automatic setup feature to do this based on ambience. Pl. provide a wireless and wired option. Will pick based on affordability.
2. Since I have two microphones, I guess need some audio mixing device? I also want it to give me one headphone output. Cordless is most preferred. But again subject to affordability.
3. Do I need any other hardware(s)?
4. While doing PP, when I change frames between one camera output to another camera output how do I easily manage audio to stay in synch?

Pl. help. Thanks.

I won't do your microphone research for you.
You basically described broadcast quality microphones and they are not inexpensive.

I would suggest you do like lots of YouTube film makers and use 2 digital audio recorders so you can edit the audio post process.
You might want to download the free multi-track audio editor application Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

Using 2 different makes of camera you're going to have to match the video white balance, exposure, color grade, etc of clips shot with each you want to use in your final video.
Of course you're also going to need to cut the clips and put them together into the final video.

how i record my audio - YouTube

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you very much Keith! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back