How to start a local photography club?

Why an age limit?
I chose an age limit because I don't want to babysit. I was thinking that you could be a member at 18 but could participate with a parent if you are under 18. I want to plan at least one over night trip and again.... I don't want to be responsible for other people's kids.

I've joined a couple of local Photo groups on MeetUp. Both were pleasant ways to meet new photographers but have folded :(
I was tempted to take over the first one which was just for local photowalks, but decided I had too much in the way of other commitments. This sort of scheme works well if you can't manage a frequent regular meeting, as all members will get e-mails about events as they are planned.

I'm also treasurer of our local Photographic workshop, that meets for 2½ hours once a week. I wasn't around for the first 7 years of the group, but from what I've heard it started with the people from a adult education course when the local authorities decided they could no longer fund it. (This gave them a core membership at the start).
We now have about 30 members some of who can only make it very infrequently (typical weekly turnout ~20) Our organization is fairly simple - all members are on the committee with equal votes, with just two members having official duties the chairman & myself. Other members are co-opted to lead sessions, though this tends to fall on the more experienced members (~6).
To give you an idea of costs, we charge £2/week + tea money.
Our hall fees average around £100/month
Insurance & membership of the areas federation of camera clubs (who deal with the insurance) come to £100-130 (recently gone up due to an increase in membership).
Other costs can be for visiting speakers, special access to locations (often a donation to a church, or animal sanctuary...), exhibition fees or for materials are much more variable but normally in the region of £0-60.

In the summer we do location shoots 3 weeks out of 4 (potentially saving hall fees), and we regularly exhibit at local shows & several local venues. The local agricultural show probably being the main source of new members!

Unlike many clubs we don't go in for competitions, being more a self help teaching organization. We're blessed with a good range of members from relative beginners to national competition winners, and have experts in Underwater, infra red, macro...

Like this forum the more knowledgeable members are happy to share their knowledge which helps hugely!

Our topics are varied & always open to suggestions from members IMO the best are those where we can play with our cameras, such as the visiting snake lady. Many subjects do come round repeatably. There's always more to learn but it can be a real challenge running your third session on a topic (particularly on subjects that can't be carried out in the hall on a winter's evening) you don't want to just repeat last years session...

Good luck with your club!

Why an age limit?
I chose an age limit because I don't want to babysit. I was thinking that you could be a member at 18 but could participate with a parent if you are under 18. I want to plan at least one over night trip and again.... I don't want to be responsible for other people's kids.

Makes perfect sense to me!
My kids have been along to a few sessions of our workshop. Usually because my wife's not been available to baby sit, but once because a session interested one of them (the snakes!).
If minors are present their parents must take full responsibility for them & keep them under control.

I have gone to 2 different clubs that were MeetUp. They said MeetUp actually creates the gallery for our photo walk photos and some other things. It sounded 'simple' for the gal organizing it.
1 club collects $1 every get together and the other does an optional $25 fee for a LOT of guidance!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back