How to store camera gear

Byrnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I am looking for advice on how to store my camera and lenses. I have been leaving them I'm the camera bag in the wardrobe the last few months but I read moisture and fungus can grow in them in a dark place. I read to put them in a sealed clear plastic container with a moisture absorber in with them ? Any information on this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Wayne.

Good start with the desiccant.
Obviously humidity is the real killer.
But keeping them stored in a cool dry place in the dark works wonders.

Obviously not on the coast of Quater in August in a black Mercedes which probably wouldn't be advisable.

Really it depends on where you live. Here in Utah it's pretty dry so I don't worry at all about storing my gear in my camera bag and it's never been an issue.
The real enimy is moisture. Either from you (sweat soaking into your camera bag), the environment (taking pictures is the rain or mist), or the air if you live someplace with humidity over 50% regularly.

The cheapest thing you can do is just use your camera regularly. If you use your camera at least once a week, you would be wasting your time putting it in a separate container when you get home. I used to live in Oregon, litteraly right on the coast, and even there I never had a issue storing my camera in my camera bag but I used it regularly....

Last edited:
I live in NY. I have cameras that are 20 years old in pristine condition. I store mine in the camera bag with the moisture absorbent packs. Haven’t had issues. They are either in a closet or on a shelf. My house isn’t high humidity. Air conditioned in the summer. Run a dehumidifier in the basement. I personally would worry about trapping moisture if they were in a plastic tub.

Many types of plastic will off-gas and will coat glass surfaces with a very fine film after a year or so, or even after 6 months or 3 months, depending upon the composition of the plastic. I would because of this advise against storing lenses in plastic containers. Many types of petroleum-based materials will off-gas, including padding and foams, Etc. The same is true of many types of finished wood, and because of this I would advise you to store your cameras and lenses in non plastic and non wood containers or areas. You can check for off-gassing by placing a clean screw in type filter in your potential storage device, closing the device and doing a test . if after 3 months there is a very fine film or Haze on the filter, then something in the storage device is off-gassing. Carpeting inside of gun safes for example often leaves a haze on lenses after a year or so.

Last edited:
Good start with the desiccant.
Obviously humidity is the real killer.
But keeping them stored in a cool dry place in the dark works wonders.

Obviously not on the coast of Quater in August in a black Mercedes which probably wouldn't be advisable.
Hiya, thanks for the reply:)

Really it depends on where you live. Here in Utah it's pretty dry so I don't worry at all about storing my gear in my camera bag and it's never been an issue.
The real enimy is moisture. Either from you (sweat soaking into your camera bag), the environment (taking pictures is the rain or mist), or the air if you live someplace with humidity over 50% regularly.

The cheapest thing you can do is just use your camera regularly. If you use your camera at least once a week, you would be wasting your time putting it in a separate container when you get home. I used to live in Oregon, litteraly right on the coast, and even there I never had a issue storing my camera in my camera bag but I used it regularly....
Thanks for the reply:)

I live in NY. I have cameras that are 20 years old in pristine condition. I store mine in the camera bag with the moisture absorbent packs. Haven’t had issues. They are either in a closet or on a shelf. My house isn’t high humidity. Air conditioned in the summer. Run a dehumidifier in the basement. I personally would worry about trapping moisture if they were in a plastic tub.
Thanks for the reply I was thinking it was a bit odd in a plastic contsiner sweeting il give that a miss

Many types of plastic will off-gas and will coat glass surfaces with a very fine film after a year or so, or even after 6 months or 3 months, depending upon the composition of the plastic. I would because of this advise against storing lenses in plastic containers. Many types of petroleum-based materials will off-gas, including padding and foams, Etc. The same is true of many types of finished wood, and because of this I would advise you to store your cameras and lenses in non plastic and non wood containers or areas. You can check for off-gassing by placing a clean screw in type filter in your potential storage device, closing the device and doing a test . if after 3 months there is a very fine film or Haze on the filter, then something in the storage device is off-gassing. Carpeting inside of gun safes for example often leaves a haze on lenses after a year or so.
Thanks Derrel I will leave it out of a container so .
Thanks Derrel keep them away from plastic and wood containers and keep an eye on the lense. Thanks again very helpful as always ;-)

I keep my most used lenses in my camera bag which is on a shelf in a closet when not in use. The desiccant bags is a good idea that I’ll have to implement. I store my other lenses and filters in a drawer that has a padded organizer grid to keep everything from shifting. It’s not air tight and our house is pretty dry so I don’t worry too much about fungus.

I keep my most used lenses in my camera bag which is on a shelf in a closet when not in use. The desiccant bags is a good idea that I’ll have to implement. I store my other lenses and filters in a drawer that has a padded organizer grid to keep everything from shifting. It’s not air tight and our house is pretty dry so I don’t worry too much about fungus.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I will do the same ;-)

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on how to store my camera and lenses. I have been leaving them I'm the camera bag in the wardrobe the last few months but I read moisture and fungus can grow in them in a dark place. I read to put them in a sealed clear plastic container with a moisture absorber in with them ? Any information on this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Wayne.

May I suggest you get out shooting more? LOL

I would say that desiccant will only work if you can control the air exchange, thus the reason new stuff is wrapped in plastic bags and a desiccant pouch is included. Desiccant also needs to either be replaced or recharged on a regular basis.

There are active chemical moisture absorbers that many dollar stores sell however there is a major caveat using them. Never place them on the same level as valuable gear unless you place them in an additional container. Best to keep them at the lowest level with everything higher. The reason is, the residual liquid produced by their active moisture absorption is highly corrosive.

If you choose a container to store your gear that is air tight or restrictive, buy two humidistats, many are available on Amazon. One goes in the container the other goes in the room you store the gear so you can monitor the differences on a regular basis.

Hi All,

Thanks

Wayne.

May I suggest you get out shooting more? LOL

I would say that desiccant will only work if you can control the air exchange, thus the reason new stuff is wrapped in plastic bags and a desiccant pouch is included. Desiccant also needs to either be replaced or recharged on a regular basis.

There are active chemical moisture absorbers that many dollar stores sell however there is a major caveat using them. Never place them on the same level as valuable gear unless you place them in an additional container. Best to keep them at the lowest level with everything higher. The reason is, the residual liquid produced by their active moisture absorption is highly corrosive.

If you choose a container to store your gear that is air tight or restrictive, buy two humidistats, many are available on Amazon. One goes in the container the other goes in the room you store the gear so you can monitor the differences on a regular basis.
Hiya, thanks for the information;-) and I am getting out more these days because the ice photos I am taking the more I want to take ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back