Howdy.

57%_Burnt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How's everybody?

My name is Mike. It's my first time here, but hopefully wont be my last. It's nice to finally find a solid photography forum.

I've been shooting for a while, but recently have started taking more concert photos at shows that my band plays. In some small venues, cigarette smoke and fog machines can create quite an aberration. So I was curious, does anyone know any good methods for shooting good, sharp and contrasty images through smoke?

Plus I just wanted to say Hi.

Don't use flash, use high ISO and hand-hold or tripod. Use the fastest possible lens and get as close as possible.

Welcome!

Rob

Thanks for the comment's and welcome's.

I think a tripod would probably help my cause a bit, but unfortunately, it's very difficult to work into that kind of shooting scenario. And it's not uncommon for me to shoot lower film speeds for rear-curtain flash sync'ing and nice motion, as a lot of the bands I shoot are punk/hardcore acts, and it makes a great feeling for the photos. But I might try the tripod if its a more docile show, and see if that gets good results. I've also heard of using a red filter for B&W.

I suppose we'll see how it turns out!

welcome to the forum. I guess you like Dillinger Escape Plan, because your name is the other portion of the 43% burnt (anyone who doesnt know, DEP is a band, and they have a song called 43% burnt) Awesome, and start posting some pics!

Try some T-Max 3200 for gigs. It'll give you really rough grainy images, but it's ultra-light sensitive and will allow you to shoot at f8 with a 200mm lens at 1/500th.

Rob

Most reactions

Back