What's new

Hummingbird at rest

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
1,072
Reaction score
0
Location
Woodstock, CT
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4667841846_e316a0a07e_b.jpg


D60 | 300mm | f/5.6 | ISO 100 | Flash fired

Full size.

This is a male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) defending his territory. He sits around all day, driving other males away. Fun to watch.
 
Good capture:thumbup:, Ive got some honey suckle in my back yard that a red breasted humming bird keeps visiting. Its a tough sucker to shoot. Keeps moving on me.
:lol:
 
I should have lowered the shutter speed and lowered the flash output to get the background slightly brighter. I was really pushing the speedlight to it's limits, I think.
 
4667841846_e316a0a07e_b.jpg


D60 | 300mm | f/5.6 | ISO 100 | Flash fired

Full size.

This is a male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) defending his territory. He sits around all day, driving other males away. Fun to watch.

Nice photo. I really like it. :)

I took the liberty of a slight edit... I hope you don't mind...

My two cents:

4667841846_e316a0a07e_b.-edit.jpg
 
Nice photo. I really like it. :)

I took the liberty of a slight edit... I hope you don't mind...

My two cents:

4667841846_e316a0a07e_b.-edit.jpg

Soooo.... what you're saying is I need a 600mm? I agree. ;)

I had it cropped down to about that size. What you see here is about 90% of the frame. I don't like cropping that much of my shots. Although I do like your edit more than my original. :)
 
Although I do like your edit more than my original. :)

Thank you. My intent was just to show a different point of view not to discredit your work... I apologize if I offended.

I used Gimp 2.6 to crop it using a 1:1 aspect ratio. I adjusted the white balance slightly.
 
Last edited:
Although I do like your edit more than my original. :)

Thank you. My intent was just to show a different point of view not to discredit your work... I apologize if I offended.

No offense taken. I think I may have forgotten to adjust the WB when I was processing it, now that I think about it.
 
I don't normally bump my own threads, but here's a reshoot of the above pic. (Yes, I got a chance to reshoot him. :) ) A little noisy, but I'm ok with that.

4672636457_6defab334e_b.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom