Hunter

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A portrait of Hunter Noack, an incredibly talented pianist in Portland. He sometimes plays in one of my favorite bands, Pink Martini. I love the patch of brown in his left eye (camera right); I didn't even notice this about him until I was reviewing the photos on my computer.
Shot in natural light using a window.
EOS 5D MKII, EF 85mm f/1.8 set to f/2.5, 1/200th sec, ISO 500.
untitled_by_danostergren-db0ss51.jpg

Those eyes so sharp and they draw me right in.

That is pretty classic Rembrandt lighting, with a little fill to make the shadow side less stark. The very thin DOF does a good job blurring background and fading the back of his head. Nice job.

Up to your usual standard. I tend to run out of superlatives when viewing your work, Dan. ;)

Oh, Dan... I hate ya 'cuz I ain't ya. :p Seriously, this is stunning. And the way the yellow complements the blue eyes and echoes the golden tones in his hair...it's all perfect.

oh <3 <3 <3

Could you please please please share your sharpening method? ( I know about smart object/highpass/unsharp mask...is there anything else, maybe you do something in cr... or... what? it's just perfect!!! )

That is pretty classic Rembrandt lighting, with a little fill to make the shadow side less stark. The very thin DOF does a good job blurring background and fading the back of his head. Nice job.
Thank you.

Oh, Dan... I hate ya 'cuz I ain't ya. :p Seriously, this is stunning. And the way the yellow complements the blue eyes and echoes the golden tones in his hair...it's all perfect.
lol, no hate! <3

Thank you. It took some convincing to get him and the clothing designer to agree to the dramatic hair, but in my honest opinion you need some drama in a still photo. Also ew @ flat boring hair, amiright?

Amazing quality

lol, no hate! <3

Thank you. It took some convincing to get him and the clothing designer to agree to the dramatic hair, but in my honest opinion you need some drama in a still photo. Also ew @ flat boring hair, amiright?

Yes!!! I've been struggling with this same thing, needing some sense of movement to keep it from looking like a school picture. The hair is FANTASTIC. Tell them they need to just blindly obey you all the time. :p

oh <3 <3 <3

Could you please please please share your sharpening method? ( I know about smart object/highpass/unsharp mask...is there anything else, maybe you do something in cr... or... what? it's just perfect!!! )
That's the same sharpening technique I use for all of my photos. It helps that I'm getting the focus right in camera, and that I try hard not to overdo the retouching in order to maintain realistic detail. My biggest pet peeve in photography is skin that has all of the imperfections erased in post (ironically I still cross the line sometimes myself and have to pull back). Just focus on the lighting and the sharpening technique I showed you, and take a minimal approach to your retouching.

lol, no hate! <3

Yes!!! I've been struggling with this same thing, needing some sense of movement to keep it from looking like a school picture. The hair is FANTASTIC. Tell them they need to just blindly obey you all the time. :p
Can we just tell everyone that? Mainly the cute guys? They can all be my boyfranz.

The super shard eye contact, with the shallow DOF, really makes this great!
Outstanding work! :)

A great portrait!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back